Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Stutters

• Please log in to reply

GrrAtMyComputer

GrrAtMyComputer

• Pip
  • 1 posts
My computer stutters randomly while playing games. The stuttering isn't freezing, just like a jumpiness in both sound and on the screen. The games start out fine, but after 10-15 seconds it's jumpy for about 10-15 seconds, then goes back to being fine, and repeats this process.

My computer is about 5 years old, and it started doing it on games it has been able to run for years. So far I've scanned for viruses, cleaned the disk, and defragged; none of them helped. There's been nothing removed or added hardware wise since it started and nothing big software wise (ie same virus scan and other continuously operational programs). I'm thinking the problem is something hardware wise, but it's really just a guess.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Games can use a large amount of a computers resources to run. When your computer was new it could handle it because there wasn't a lot of programs running in the background and not many startup programs. Adding software that look for updates all the time can cause your problem. I turn off the microsoft update on most of my computers. Yes, it means i must look up updates, but thats my preference. I also use msconfig to stop a lot of programs from running in the background unnecessarily. If you game at all "lean-mean-and running clean" is the best motto. You can also try adding more memory to see if it helps. All my computers now have 2 gigs of memory in them( some have more).

SRX660