Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Baffled as to why the internet won't work...

• Please log in to reply

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
I recently came back from a trip to find my dad complaining of the internet no longer working on his laptop. He said he didn't do anything to it, he just turned it on and tried to go to a website, and it wouldn't work. This problem happens on both IE and Firefox, as well as any other program that tries to access the internet (like the Anti-Virus looking for updates).

The computer connects wirelessly to a home network to get to the internet. Two other computers on the network also connect wirelessly and work fine. Also, one computer is connected via ethernet and it is also working fine.

The computer does connect fine to the home network. It says it is connected and with a strong signal strength, and does not give any indication of a problem. However, anything internet-related will not work. However, accessing network drives and networked printers works fine.

I've tried repairing the wireless connection, but that had no effect. I set up this network and am pretty comfortable with most networking aspects, but I've never had a problem like this before, so I'm not sure what else to try. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Have you checked configurations on the router? Sometimes power surges are known to revert setting on a router back to default.

Have you tried: ipconfig /flushdns?

Can you ping 72.14.207.99?

Does you ISP use PPPoE?

Have you tried plugging a PC directly into the modem?

Also, a simple one, have you power cycled the the modem and the router?

Give those things a try and let me know the results.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 2,579 posts
The router configuration is fine. Remember, all computers but one that are connecting through this router work fine.

ipconfig /flushdns had no effect on the situation.

Yes, I can ping 72.14.207.99. Hmm, this is surprising! I can also ping google.com, yet cannot visit it using Firefox or IE.

Yes, my ISP uses PPPoE.

The laptop has no ethernet port, so it can't be connected directly to the modem.

Yes, both modem and router have been power cycled.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Solution:

1. Type netsh winsock reset in the Command Prompt.
2. Restart the computer.

Thanks for your time, Titan.

Edit: Upon closing Firefox, and re-opening it, the problem started again. Argh!

Edited by stettybet0, 15 July 2008 - 12:57 PM.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Are there any signs of malware on this computer?

silent_n0va

silent_n0va

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
Which antivirus program are you using? It's likely that your AV program is blocking your connection. I would try reinstalling your AV program.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Actually, I hadn't heard from him in a while so I assume that he resolved his issue. If I had to guess I would say he was another victim of the Windows Update that made Zone Alarm user's internet inoperable.

silent_n0va

silent_n0va

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
Ah, yeah, I had that same update and Symantec AV didn't like it, but I reinstalled the AV program and it let me through.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Hey guys, sorry for the late reply, but I had gone away the day after Titan's last July response, and I had become unsubscribed to the topic by the time I returned. Anyways, I managed to solve the issue by doing a clean re-install of XP. Laptop works much faster now too, as my dad had a bunch of junk on it. I don't think Windows Update was the issue, because Automatic updates were turned off and he said he didn't install any updates. (I believe him, because he honestly wouldn't know how to update manually. :))