Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC crashes while GAMING (both XP/Vista, drivers up to date, new machin

• Please log in to reply

theduk3

theduk3

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi there,

So I recently got a new and pretty strong PC.(with a crappy SLI mainboard...) :

Intel Core 2 Quad 2.4 GH
8 GB DDR2 Ram
Geforce 8800 GTS with 6xx MB Ram
Asus P5N-E SLI
2 HDD

The problem is that the system keeps crashing while GAMING.
It happend once or twice while video playblack too. Points to GFX maybe?

The screen just freezes and a "drrrdrrrdrrrdrrr" sound keeps looping.

This occurs with different games after a random amount of time.
The problem even shows up in both Windows XP (sp2 and sp3) and Vista (SP1).
All drivers are up to date, OS obviously as well. Even the bios is the newest version.

I have looked at the temperatures, and while not all that pretty, they are not that bad.
MB: 50 ° C under heavy load
GFX: max 65 ° under heavy load

I really can't figure out what this is all about.
It ocurring in both Vista (x64) and XP(x84), with new drivers makes me think this is a hardware problem.

REALLY REALLY annoying.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Check your power supply. I had a PS that ran fine until pushed to its limit. I was getting spikes of low voltages that caused the same problems you have.I have used a multimeter to find that the PS was spiking down to 11.2 on the 12 volt line and down to 4.7 volts on the 5 volt line. This caused freezes and splutters in the games and when i tried editing videos. A higher powered GOOD power supply corrected my problem. Your's may be having the same problem.

SRX660

Kais3r

Kais3r

• PipPip
  • 88 posts

Check your power supply. I had a PS that ran fine until pushed to its limit. I was getting spikes of low voltages that caused the same problems you have.I have used a multimeter to find that the PS was spiking down to 11.2 on the 12 volt line and down to 4.7 volts on the 5 volt line. This caused freezes and splutters in the games and when i tried editing videos. A higher powered GOOD power supply corrected my problem. Your's may be having the same problem.

SRX660

how can i check if its my power supply

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
You can see if it's your power supply by using a multimeter, or swapping it out for a different power supply. Assuming you don't have a multimeter or extra power supply handy, these can be pretty expensive options. So, first, let's explore other possible causes of the problem. Is your RAM getting enough voltage? What type of RAM are you using (brand and model number)? Also, are you overclocking at all?

Kais3r

Kais3r

• PipPip
  • 88 posts
I have a multimeter. How can I test this?