Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Weird problem with PC

• Please log in to reply

ronic

ronic

• Pip
  • 3 posts
So some day ago I had unplugged my PC from everything so I could move it temporarily.
Later when I plugged everything in I had trouble getting a signal on my monitor, after touching the box I suddenly received a signal on monitor, logged on to desktop only to have the PC restart when it was moved a bit. I was able to log in again to desktop only to have it restart again.
But this time I lost signal again to the monitor. After a bit of testing I got a signal again only to see a black screen and a message that went like this:
OS couldn't be loaded

After restarting the PC I ended up with a black screen and a blinking underline.
By this time I either have no signal to monitor altough the fans are working and the LEDs are lighted on mobo or I have that weird black screen.
So I get another completly new HDD to make a new install and here I have trouble with the black screen again. So I clear CMOS and everything works ok, getting the POST and WinXP installation spinning up only to get aborted when its about 20 minutes left and PC enters some weird restart loop and later lose the signal to monitor while PC is still working\restarting.
If I turn off the PC and restart, the WinXP installation restarts again and prompts me to insert the CD, doing so leads again to a restart in the PC after halfway thru the installation.
Turning the PC on and off also ends up in the "no signal to monitor" situation quite often altough the fans and HDD is spinning.
I've tried unplugging everything except the video card and using only 1 memory stick, but same thing happens.

I'm pretty tired after some days of pondering on this problem and trying to solve it, googling the problm and so on, so I might have missed something here.

I'm currently trying to get my hands on a new PSU to test if thats where the fault is.

Posting here to see if anyone has heard, seen or experienced a problem like this before?

The system in question is:
P4 3.4 GHz
1024 mb ram, A-data brand.
HDD is Western Digital 320 gb
NVidia 6600+ 512 MB
mobo is Soltek Sl-915P-G

Any help or ideas on what the problem is or how to solve it are appreciated.

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Well, it certainly sounds like a bad or loose connection somewhere. Don't forget that many monitor cords are detachable - so make sure the connection on the back of the monitor is tight too.

Chances are, every time your computer reboots abruptly you risk corrupting the boot process even more than it is. I would unplug everything from the wall, discharge any static in my body by touching bare metal of the case, then pull your PSU. Now check every connection, screw, clamp and card to make sure all is securely fastened.

Then wait for that other supply to come in and try it.

ronic

ronic

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Pulled out everything today and still same problem.
Tried new PSU, no change.
Tried also 2 different cords between PC and monitor, DVI and VGA.

I've also tried starting with just mobo, processor and PSU connected but that lead to mobo beeping, short break and then beeping again so I assume that would mean my mobo isn't fried.

Is it possible both of my RAMs are fried...and whats the best way of knowing the RAMs are gone, I've tried starting the PC with just one of each but the PC worked ok..until it refused to send signal to my monitor again. :)

I have 2 LEDs on my mobo, one is in between the 4 banks for RAM while the second one is near the connectors for cables that go to the powerbutton, reset button and HDD LED on the front of PC.
I've noticed that the second LED is constantly lit up when I don't get any signal up to my screen.
The LED gets turned off couple of seconds after starting PC and shortly before the POST message shows up when my PC "works normally", up until the restarting and loss of signal to screen kicks in again. :)

I've tried finding some sort of description what that means in the manual for the mobo but nothing is mentioned about either LED.
I'm about to just :) and use a hammer on it.

Edited by ronic, 17 July 2008 - 08:19 AM.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

Pulled out everything today and still same problem.
Tried new PSU, no change.
Tried also 2 different cords between PC and monitor, DVI and VGA.

I've also tried starting with just mobo, processor and PSU connected

But you still have not eliminated your monitor from the equation! You should do that before tearing apart the computer. And don't forget to make sure you observe good ESD prevention precautions to ensure static from your body does not zap sensitive devices, such as memory modules and CPUs.

You must have at least one stick of RAM installed to proceed through the POST - it will stop when it cannot find the boot drive. And you should be able to see this on the monitor.

ronic

ronic

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Sorry, forgot to write that down, the PC was tested on a working screen so it's no screen failure.
While I was testing memory it I was prompted about the boot drive on both sticks so it's not memory either.

I've also noticed only time I can get the PC to work nomal for a short time is if I reset CMOS, could it be the battery?
And what are the signs of bad CMOS battery in that case?

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

I've also noticed only time I can get the PC to work nomal for a short time is if I reset CMOS, could it be the battery?
And what are the signs of bad CMOS battery in that case?

When you have constantly reset the CMOS. When the date and time don't keep after powered off for a day or two.

Fortunately, batteries are so inexpensive and easy to replace, little loss if it does not fix the problem. Make sure you unplug the computer from the wall before pulling the old battery. Take the old one with you to your local battery counter - most of them will recycle the old.

Do not touch the new battery with your bare skin - the oils attract dust and promote corrosion. Boot directly into the BIOS Setup Menu after replacing the battery to reset the clock and ensure your drives are properly identified. Then Save and Exit to reboot normally.