Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Not enough 3-pin connectors

• Please log in to reply

fortune82

fortune82

• PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
I have 2 3-pin fan connectors on my mobo, one is used by the heatsink/fan, and the other is used by a 120mm fan in the back pulling out warm air. The PC still runs hot, though, so I decided I'd throw some more fans in, but I have no more 3-pin connectors. I have found a 3-pin splitter here, but I would really like to know if I could make a splitter, or find a way to use the other power connectors on my PC.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Two ways round this:

Replace the fans with ones that come with standard 4-pin molex connectors, or obtain adaptors that go from a 4-pin molex to a three pin adaptor. You may find the splitter you've linked to doesn't report fan speeds correctly or reports something that's obscenely high. Some boards will tell you if the fan RPMs are too low and some branded systems don't let you turn this notification off.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Personally I've begun making my own power cables as you get what you want, not some standard strand of plugs that doesn't fit your needs. That being said, you'll need to invest a fairly significant amount of money to do this and if you mix up the wiring you can potentially damage whatever device you are trying to power. Therefore I don't really recommend it. As Neil Jones stated, your best off to get some fans that can use molex connectors.
I do not recommend getting a splitter as you may draw too much power from the 3pin connector on your motherboard, which has been known to fry boards in the past.
James