Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

office 2003 OEM version

• Please log in to reply

deano199

deano199

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hi,
I have rebuilt my PC with New MoBo & CPU Etc. I want to know if I can move my Offcie 2003 OEM software onto my new PC / HD from my old PC which is still in working order

Any thoughts or info would be most welcome.

Thanks,
Deano

Advertisements

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Hi Deano,

Yes, you can move the Office 2003 software to your newly rebuilt PC, as long as you have the installation disk. You may have to call Microsoft to get it activated again, the phone number will be given to if online activation is not successful.

Also, remember that your OEM EULA indicates that you can only use the software on one machine, so you should uninstall Office from your old PC to make sure you don't have any legal/activation/update problems.

Firebucket

Firebucket

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
I'm sure Microsoft will be kind enough to let you move it :)
Just make sure you have the install disk

FireB

hendaz

hendaz

• PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
I wouldn't be so sure, OEM software is designed only to be used on one computer and when that computer 'dies' the software 'dies' with it. If I remember correctly Microsoft allow you to make certain changes/upgrades to your computer and the software will still work fine but when the computer 'dies', which Microsoft say is when the motherboard fails or when the computer is modified in such a way that it no longer resembles the orginal pc, the software will also 'die'. If you had the retail version on the other hand Microsoft would happily allow you transfer the office suite onto another computer. In other words I don't think you will be able to transfer your office suite but best to ask Microsoft to make sure.

Hope this helps, Hendaz.

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Hrmm.... upon further consideration, this is a weird one.

"OEM" office doesn't really exist. At least at Dell - when you buy Office with your computer, we install it before shipping, but it is a retail version, and can thus be moved to other systems. That's why I stated what I did in my post.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
HPs ship with OEM versions of Office that can't be transferred or activated multiple times.

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
:) HP....

haha j/k. I would contact the customer service department for your old computer and find out if it is a retail or OEM version of Office.

Granz00

Granz00

• PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
If you only have 2003, then you could also look into downloading Open Office. It is an Office suite, very similar to Microsoft Office, and it doesn't cost a dime.