Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem after Win2k restore

• Please log in to reply

subspace3

subspace3

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello all,

My Pc running win2k recently died on me and wouldn't start in safe mode, or be repaired using the recovery console. So I decided to do a clean install of the OS. I had a backup of the entire c:\ drive and the system state saved on another hdd so when i had the system up and running I used the backup and restore wizard to restore my pc using the backup file hoping it would then be in the previous state before it died.

All went well until my desktop loaded up. Icons were missing, my documents folder empty and the normal startup programs weren't loaded. All the programs in the start menu seemed to be there though. Upon looking at documents and settings on the root, there is a folder called user1, and inside all my documents that were missing.
I use to log on to my computer with the username : Admin.

I created the same user again and from what i can tell, when it logs in I'm on a profile which has never been used beofre and not on the Admin user i was on before with the user1 files.
Is there anyway to assign the current user Admin to load the documents and settings from the user1 folder as I think this would restore my computer to like it was before?

Thank you in advance for whoever can help me out

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The backup only restores the system to the state that it was in when you backed it up. Therefore if you back up an installation that is, for want of a better term, stuffed, then when you restore it it will restore it back as stuffed as it was when you backed it up.

Realistically you'd be better off keeping the backup image safe (as you should be able to extract individual files from it) and using a Windows CD to wipe the machine. Of course you'd have to reinstall everything afterwards but its the cleanest way of doing it.