Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Weird computer problem...

• Please log in to reply

Daitech

Daitech

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
So well the weird thing about my problem is that after an hour, at least, of just having the computer on and surfing the internet my computer becomes RIDICULOUSLY slow. I don't get what's wrong but it when this happens, opening applications would take about 15-20 seconds longer than almost instant, as its supposed too. During this occurrence, I try to pull up the task manager, which takes like 30-40 seconds AT LEAST, then it shows my CPU Dead stocked at 100% and the Memory leveled around 450.

So I'm here to find out what's wrong with my computer; I'm currently waiting for my new computer build so I'm stuck with this for now.

Any suggestions on what is wrong with my computer?

Advertisements

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
First thing I'd look at is running anti-virus and anti-spyware programs and if it persists then I'd consider going to the hijack forum and getting help there...

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
bring up the task manager...click on processes and see which program is using the most CPU %...

Edited by happyrck, 16 July 2008 - 09:55 AM.

Daitech

Daitech

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hey guys,

- Alright so the only Anti-Spyware I have is Windows Defender I think, I'll try out a full computer scan and check out the results. Do you know of any good anti-spyware/anti-virus that's reliable and proficient?

- Okay so when I bring up the task manager, the most programs that use the CPU is Firefox(Most), iTunes(Second), and Aim(Third).

- Thanks

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
get a screenshot like mine and post it

Daitech

Daitech

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Ummm sorry for not knowing but how do you take screen shots like those?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
go here...

Daitech

Daitech

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Alright, thanks for that link and sorry for the late response. The Batman movie really got me too excited. :)

So here is the picture.

2008_07_19_004419.png

This is before the clock of the computer hits about an hour into. But I'll try to update with another picture when it's slowed down.

Edited by Daitech, 19 July 2008 - 01:49 AM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
open the window all the way before you get a screenshot...
I want to see system and system idle process too

Sho-sa Kato

Sho-sa Kato

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hey Happyrck..............

just a qwik Q if ya dont mind being your watching this thread.
I have a really bad virused PC and I cant access the "net" on it so downloading spyware proggies is a big problem. Im on a friends PC now that I wont have later and so the only option I see is to reformat the new PC, however how can I save "my docs" so I wont lose all my work passwords and stuff like that, is it possible? The PC is so badly virused that I dont have access to the run command or anything, I cant even bring up the Task Manager.
Is there a way to copy files if I disconnect it from the "net" after a startup? The PC im using doesnt have a "write" function either so I have to work from the virused PC to use any kind of a cd-writer. Yeah, its a nightmare. :)

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
to Sho-sa Kato

get puppy linux...Get puppy-2.16-seamonkey-fulldrivers.iso download it and burn it to cd ...if you don't have a burning program that will burn .ISO files go [url="http://"%20here and get burncdcc ..a small FAST no frills iso burning program...make sure in the bios the cd drive is the first boot device....put the cd in the cd drive..boot your computer....puppy will boot and run totally in ram...if your hardware is is good working order you will know...
after you get it running and your at the desktop...you take the puppy linux cd out and then you can use the burner to copy all yor data to cd/dvds
you can also use it to backup your data to a external usb harddrive..just have it hooked to the computer when you boot up with puppy...
==========================
quick guide for saving data...music..files on a system that will not boot using puppy Linux..

after you get to puppy desktop..
click on the drives icon...looks like a flash drive...top row..it will list all the drives connected to

your computer...

click on the red icon for the drive you want to mount...in this case its a flash drive ...puppy will

mount the drive..the drive icon turns green when its mounted...
minimize the drives mounter window..you will need it again in a few minutes..
drag the right edge of it sideways to shrink it to its narrowest size...then drag the window to the
right edge of the screen...

now click on the icon that looks like a filing cabinet (kind of yellow) on the main drive...it should
already be green..
you will see a list of all the folders on the main drive Usually your C: drive..shrink that window to

the narrowest you can..drag that window to the left side of the screen...
at this point you should have 2 windows open on your desktop..the flash drive on the right side..
go back to the folders on the C: drive...click on the documents and settings folder...then your user
name or all users..find the folders that has your data..
drag and drop the folder with the data you want to make copies of to the flash drive window...

your options are to move ..copy ect...JUST COPY..if its to big you will have to open the folder and
drag and drop individual files until the flash drive is full...(I have a 120 GB external USB drive for
big data recovery jobs and a 4 GB flash drive for the smaller jobs)..after you get the files copied to
the flash drive...
Click on the drives mounter you minimized earlier
UNMOUNT THE FLASH DRIVE by clicking on the green icon..you will once in awhile get error messages when
unmouting the drive..ignore them..when the flash drive icon turns red again its safe to remove the
flash drive..trot on over (stroll if you want to look cool) to another computer and plug in the flash

drive and copy all the data files ( I drag and drop) to the other computer..
make sure the other computer can read them...

now delete the data on the flash drive...take it back to the misbehaving computer and plug it in

again..click on the drives icon again and repeat until you have all your data transferred to the working
system..

Daitech

Daitech

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

open the window all the way before you get a screenshot...
I want to see system and system idle process too

Yeah I was going to post both of them but the computer was ridiculously slow again. Hold on for a second so I can pull it out.

2.png

3.png

For some reason, this time it didn't take 1 hour but it took 4 hours for the computer to slow down a lot, but it changes back and forth most of the times.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
still didn't get what I want..

Daitech

Daitech

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

still didn't get what I want..

Hmmm...weird I don't know why mines doesn't have the System Idle and The other. Sorry again for my lack of knowledge, but do you know how to get those to appear on task manager?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Hi happyrck: hope you don't mind.

1: it looks like you have lots of processes running unnecessarily in the background. Click Start > Run. Type msconfig and press Enter. Check Selective Mode and click Startup. Uncheck everything which is not connected to anti-malware and firewall. Confirm and reboot. Check the message that shows up after reboot.

2: The fact that the slowdown starts an hour or so after you start using your computer can indicate to over heating buildup. Many computers have a feature in their BIOS that limits CPU performance to avoid damage. Please download Everest from the link in my list, install and run it. When the computer slows down click Computer and then Sensor. Let the table fill up and report CPU, motherboard and hard disk temperatures.