Problem #1: When connected to a Wireless G router, the connection in XP says Excellent and at 54 Mbps. The standard good connection. When trying to access the internet, either through a browser; updates; or instant messaging, I fail to connect. My connection icon says good, but isn't obviously.
Troubleshooting: Here is where it gets fun....I opened a can of worms.
I ran ipconfig from the CMD prompt and verified the connection. The I.P. Address and Subnet mask checked out ok. Next I checked the WEP key. I reentered it on the PC and connected no problem. So I figured it was my ESET Nod32 Firewall. I uninstalled it after various setting adjustments and rebooted. I still could not connect but the connection read "Excellent." Meanwhile, there is another Windows XP machine right next to this, working fine off the network. This other laptop, Laptop B we'll call it, was working perfect.
This wireless connection is fed off a Windows XP machine within the same household. I went to that PC and tried to access the router to verify security settings. 192.168.1.1 would not bring up the router page. This told me that the LAN connection wasn't working. I looked at the connections on the back of the router. It is your standard 5 port ethernet 802.11 B/G router. 4 ports to feed to other devices, and one for the main internet connection.
Laptop A, throughout all of this...was unable to access the problem and maintained its state.
There is a connection from the PC to the Router's Slot 1-4 (I tried them all), and the Modem to the Internet slot. At no point was I able to get the Desktop LAN to connect to the internet but it said I had a 100 Mbps connection. When I plugged the connection from the PC in the Internet slot, I was able to access the router's configuration. When I plugged it back into 1-4, I couldn't access anything.
Laptop B, became my way of testing the router's connections. When the main internet connection was in the Internet slot, this PC's browser access became unavailable. When this connection was plugged into 1-4, the connection was perfect and functioned properly.
I know this all seems like a lot to take in. I have a feeling this is related to the router. Some form of settings. But nothing has changed. From what I am told, the cables were changed around a few weeks ago. But that doesn't really help! I hope someone out there is a problem solver, looking for help on this one. Two computers to fix! Thanks!