Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable too boot from CD or access system restor options

• Please log in to reply

NewbieNerd607

NewbieNerd607

• Pip
  • 3 posts
My desktop computer which is a Compaq computer is unable to access the recovery console or boot from a CD, this is odd because about 3 days ago i did a complete system restore. Nothing has changed that i can see on the computer, the boot setting are the same and the CD is the same, and it has no scratches. It is unable to read both of my boot CD's which is extrmely odd but rules out the possibility that the CD itself is the problem. The only problem that i can see that could be effecting it is the cd drive, but i think that is extremely unlikely. Furthermore, at startup i can see the system recovery option but when i press the button, i believe it is F10, is does not acknoledge that it has been pressed. The only thing i can access at this point is the settings. I cant logon because im having the constant log in log out loop. Any help? Ive done the only thing i can think of which is too restart the computer a few times.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
go into settings...make the cd drive the first boot device..
Start by booting the system with the Windows XP CD and accessing the Recovery Console..
To use the Fixboot tool, from the Recovery Console command prompt, type in

Fixboot C:

nojoy...

type in fixmbr

nojoy....

type in chkdsk /f/r

if none of those help...reinstall xp but this time when it asks about formating the drive ..... DO NOT USE THE QUICK FORMAT option.

Edited by happyrck, 16 July 2008 - 04:01 PM.

NewbieNerd607

NewbieNerd607

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I cant boot off CD at all any time i put a OS CD in it just says "Cannot boot from CD please put it a proper CD then press enter" Ive tried many different CD's so thats not the problem, and ive also tried to boot from a floppy disc and i get the same message. So as of now I cant enter the recovery console which is usually entered by pressing F10, and i cannot boot from a floppy disc or a CD. The only things i can currently enter at this point in time are the settings, and the boot start up options when i boot from the hard drive (im having the log-in log-out loop issue). Im wondering if there is any way to fix this at all, my guess would be there is a Setting in the Settings console that needs to be enabled or disabled, but i have no idea which one. Is there any way i could fix this problem at all? I dont need anything off of the computer itself so i could do a destructive recovery, if i could access the console and then reinstall windows from there.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

Im wondering if there is any way to fix this at all, my guess would be there is a Setting in the Settings console that needs to be enabled or disabled,

yep...like I already said...
go into settings...make the cd drive the first boot device.....look in boot order or somewhere in the boot section
if that doesn't work..remove the hard drive and slave it to a working system to see if you can run chkdsk /f/r from that computer

Edited by happyrck, 18 July 2008 - 03:27 PM.