Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP missing/corrupt file

• Please log in to reply

juliedooley

juliedooley

• Pip
  • 5 posts
im sort of new at this and im not all that good with computers either, so you'll have to excuse my.. noobness ><

well my laptop (ibm thinkpad t41) was working fine 2 days ago but yesterday when i tried to turn it on, it came up with a message saying that windows couldnt start because of a missing or corrupt file. i managed to get in through Access IBM and restoring the default startup settings, but it happened again this morning, so i had to go through the same process.

im seriously worried, because its not actually my laptop. on top of all that, i tried to use system restore but after choosing the restore point and stuff, then clicking next, nothing happens.

pleeeaasee help.

Advertisements

R2vicious

R2vicious

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Restore default start up settings again.

Check for Malware :) Good choice of programs

If that doesn't work, if everything is backed up, why not try a fresh install of XP.

Edited by R2vicious, 15 July 2008 - 07:17 PM.

juliedooley

juliedooley

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
is there a way i can permanently solve the problem? if my mum uses it later and sees it, she'll butcher me. i sort of have a reputation for screwing any PCs i use :)

we currently dont have any anti-virus software installed, we're horribly capped AND we dont have the windows cd thingy. im so done fooorr.

R2vicious

R2vicious

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
There is a chance, that it could be malware messing with xp files. Install any of the ones on that page and run a check :)

juliedooley

juliedooley

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
ok ill try it and see what happens
im downloading the superantispyware thing right now, but its going at 8kb/sec ><

juliedooley

juliedooley

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
ack! i installed the program and did a scan. it found like, 110 threats from some tracking bug. i quarantined and removed it, but when i tried to restart the same thing happened. i also forgot to mention that since i got this problem, i cant shutdown the computer normally either. i have to hold down the power button because it closes all the windows and goes back to the usual sign in screen, but then it just stays there.

R2vicious

R2vicious

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Follow this guide! I did when my xp was showing multiple errors at start up, works fine now.

http://www.geekstogo...ws-XP-t138.html