Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to connect to wireless networks

• Please log in to reply

my_computer_is_screwed

my_computer_is_screwed

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I realize this forum is about home networking, but maybe someone can point me in the right direction possibly?

I have been doing some traveling recently for work, and my home laptop will not recognize wireless networks at the hotel or the school in which I'm attending a conference. When I go to "view available wireless networks" I get the following message:

"Windows cannot configure this wireless connection. If you have enabled
another program to manage this wireless connection, use that software. If you
want Windows to configure this wireless connection, start the wireless zero
configuration service. For more information about starting the wzc service,
see article 871122 in the microsoft knowledge base on the microsoft.com web
site. "

With my work computer, I don't have this problem. But it is in the shop right now.

Is this something that is easily configured? Oh, and I checked with the above site for more information but it is all incredibly over my head. :) I don't know where to start.

Advertisements

R2vicious

R2vicious

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
You could be using a different program to manage your Wireless connections beside the xp application. What is a list of all your programs running in your taskbar. ( bottom right )

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Also, you can have a look in Add/Remove programs for an application that sounds like it is a wireless access manager. If there is then you can feel free to remove it. You may want to download drivers for your wireless card prior to trying this in case you accidentally uninstall the drivers instead of the management software.