Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Secure Server means AV etc Unnecessary?

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts
So I'm staying with friends (in-laws, really) and using their computer to get some business done on the Internet --- pay my credit card bill, arrange a return flight, that kind of stuff. I notice there's no antivirus or antispyware protection, just a firewall. Kids use the computer all the time to play girl games, music videos, and sing-alongs on the Internet (Disney-type sites). In-law tells me he doesn't need to protect the computer BECAUSE:
..."You do your banking and airline reservations on https secure sites, so there's no way spyware or viruses can do you any harm."

First, he's serious, even after I (try to) educate him as to the existence of things called keyloggers. Is it possible that I'm the one who's wrong here?
But second, and I guess here's my main question: Besides keyloggers stealing MY private info, do I really care what happens if his computer gets infected with anything *other* than keyloggers? i.e., is keylogger malware the only thing to really worry about if all you really care about is preventing someone from stealing your confidential information?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
If your friend wants to run a computer on the internet with no protection then that's really up to him. Once his children reach the teenage years he'll get it protected like there's no tomorrow :)

And no, keyloggers are not the only thing to be worried about. Virii, spyware, malware, adware, pop-ups, fake virus scanners, the list these days is endless.