Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Search Function

• Please log in to reply

moondog830

moondog830

• PipPipPip
  • 804 posts
What I want to know is can I use the Search Function on the Windows XP Operating System to make a search of what has been downloaded on what dates? I'm not necessarily looking for specific files or types of files. I am more wanting to know the SIZE of files downloaded.

I have Satellite High Speed (yeah right, what a joke, but still better than dial-up) and am limited to how much can be downloaded in a single day. If I exceed my limit I am cut back to 1kb or 2kb per second for the next 24 hours. I share this connection with my son's and wife's computers and am now over my limit. I know that I only downloaded a single 20mb file (my limit for a day is 375mb) and need to find out what files my son downloaded yesterday to put me over the limit. I could ask him, but he would only lie about it, because he will fear that he will be in trouble even when I tell him he's not.

Thanks for reading this and if you can help, thanks for that as well.

dog

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Check out the Traffic tab on Karen's LAN Monitor.

moondog830

moondog830

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 804 posts

Check out the Traffic tab on Karen's LAN Monitor.

Karen's LAN Monitor will only help me with future stuff ..... is there no way for me to check what he's already done?

Thanks!

dog

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Well, this may not be intentional - I would not rule out media programs like Real Player - notorious for using bandwidth quotas.

You can use the search box to search for *.* then check the date options - but if a bunch of small files are being regularly updated, I don't think that will reveal anything. And since you share your internet connection, I don't see how the ISP could help either.

I know of no other way to look after-the-fact if logging was not enabled beforehand.

You can check the browser's history for sites visited - though that can easily be cleared.

You need do a complete malware scan on all computers to make sure they are clean.

And the below are all enhanced Task Manager type programs that will show you what is running on the computer. Each is nice in its own way. What's Running is probably the easiest, with AutoRuns for the more experienced, and Process Explorer the most popular. With these, for example, you can see what processes are using each of those various svchost.exe images, for example.

AutoRuns for Windows
Process Explorer
What's Running

PS - From a security standpoint, computer's should not be located in bedrooms - rather in a central, open location.