Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How do I change memory voltage and timing?

• Please log in to reply

baseballstud1547

baseballstud1547

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Depends if you have 64 bit windows OS then yes it will recognize 4 gigs of mem but if you only have 32 bit windows OS it will only recognize 3.5 gigs of mem. I would go ahead and get 4 gigs.

Advertisements

APCSystems

APCSystems

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
Is XP Pro 32 or 64 bit?

baseballstud1547

baseballstud1547

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Im going to guess since you don't know if it is 32 or 64 bit, you have 32 bit. But xp pro can come in both 32 and 64 bit. If it is the OS that came with the system then it is 32 bit, Im almost possitive of that.

APCSystems

APCSystems

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
It's not the original OS. I reformatted the PC when I got it to get rid of all the crap that was on there. I put XP Pro but I still don't know whether it's 32 or 64 bit. Is there a way to find out?

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Sorry about my late reply.
Yes, there is one way to find a lot of information out. I'm going to have you run a program called WinAudit. Please follow the instructions below.
  • Please download WinAudit here
  • Run the .exe (executable file), named WinAudit.
  • Click Audit on the top left hand corner.
    Please wait patiently as the program scans your computer.
  • After the program has completed the scan, please click file
  • Click Save
  • Click the drop down and select Text (Unicode) (*.txt)
  • Click Save
  • Locate and right click the file you have recently saved to your computer. It'll be saved to My Documents by default.
  • Click send to
  • Click Compressed (zipped) Folder
    Note: This program program contains personal information and it is IMPORTANT that you do not post the file on the public forums. Please send them to me via a PM (Personal Message), by doing the following the instructions below. If you do not feel comfortable sending me this information, please notify me of such and I'll give you some instructions on how to remove said information.
  • Click on my user name (James_8970)
  • Click Send message
  • Next to Select a file, you'll see a button named browse, please click it
  • Once you have located and attached the compressed file (the none compressed file will be to large to attach), click upload
  • Enter a text and title for the message, then click send
James

Edited by james_8970, 18 July 2008 - 08:04 PM.

APCSystems

APCSystems

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
It won't allow me to download the program:
<Image Removed>

Edited by APCSystems, 19 July 2008 - 02:02 PM.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
WinAudit is way overkill for determining 32-bit vs. 64-bit Windows XP Pro. Simply go to the Start Menu, and select Run.... Type sysdm.cpl and press OK. At the top of the General tab, under System it will say Microsoft Windows XP Professional. If it says x64 Edition Version after that, then it is 64-bit Windows XP Pro. If it says nothing after that (other that a year and possibly service pack info), then it is 32-bit Windows XP Pro.

APCSystems

APCSystems

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
Okay, in that case I guess it's 32 bit. Now onto the recommendations if you would be so kind....

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
I think James already gave you some pretty good recommendations in his first post in this topic. Another choice would be this Patriot RAM kit. Considering how you have a proprietery motherboard, you won't be able to take advantage of their superior timings, but they do come with nice heatspreaders. However, if you ever upgrade the motherboard and re-use the RAM, you will then be able to use their better timings.

APCSystems

APCSystems

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
I was about to order the Corsair that James' suggested but as I was doing that I noticed that it's a 2GB stick. I need 2x1GB sticks. Is this the same thing as what he posted but in the configuration that I need?

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820145098

Also, when would I need memory with a heat spreader? Is that mainly for gaming and such?

Edited by APCSystems, 19 July 2008 - 07:18 AM.

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
APCSystems, that image does identify your name, I'm not sure if you want to remove the image to hide this information. Just thought I ought to inform you of this.

WinAudit is way overkill for determining 32-bit vs. 64-bit Windows XP Pro.

Yes, but I was looking for more information regarding the computer. Nothing like killing two birds with one stone.

I was about to order the Corsair that James' suggested but as I was doing that I noticed that it's a 2GB stick. I need 2x1GB sticks. Is this the same thing as what he posted but in the configuration that I need?

I suggested two different 2GB model kits there (Corsair and Mushkin), a slight over look on my part. I'm sorry for this. Yes, you want a 2x1GB kit as I do not know if your chipset can support 2GB modules, yet another reason why WinAudit would have been beneficial to have been used in this circumstance.

Is this the same thing as what he posted but in the configuration that I need?

Assuming you have a motherboard that supports DDR2, not DDR, then yes it should be fine. Before proceeding though, I need you to follow my advice to confirm that you do in fact have a motherboard that supports DDR2, NOT DDR. I prefer to base my recommendation on facts rather then assumptions :)

OP, in your first post you said you are looking for a set of DDR2 memory, what leads you to believe your computer has DDR2? My google results tell me that there are two different Dell Dimension 9100 models, one which uses DDR and another which uses DDR2.
Run DxDiag, as you have done in the past. Can you tell me what your computer says besides system model.
James

Edited by james_8970, 19 July 2008 - 05:34 PM.

APCSystems

APCSystems

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
I basically did a scan of my system on crucial.com. Please see attachment. Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails

• memory.jpg

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Ah right, it's Crucial with that scanner. Earlier I was looking at Corsair for that same scanner :)
This memory can be had for $14 after rebate and will be just as good as the other memory kits suggested in this thread.
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820227060
James

Edited by james_8970, 19 July 2008 - 05:35 PM.

APCSystems

APCSystems

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
Thanks for the heads up on the OCZ memory. However, I notice that it's PC2 5400. On Crucial's site it says my machine can take PC2 4200, 5300, or 6400 but makes no mention of 5400. Do you still think I'll be able to use it? Sorry if that's a stupid question, I really have no idea what the numbers even mean.

Also, since you seem pretty knowledgeable in the technological department, what's your take on mixing different types of memory? Should I leave my current memory in my system, or should I remove it and just replace it with the new memory? I've heard that it isn't good to mix diff ones and that it can actually have negative effects on your PC. What's your stance on it?

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
PC2-5400 and PC2-5300 RAM are the same. The number after the PC2 refers to the memory's peak transfer rate. Both PC2-5400 and PC2-5300 have a peak transfer rate of 5333 MB/s. Some companies are just more honest in their rounding. :)

As for mixing memory, you probably won't notice a difference between 2GB and 3GB on XP unless you edit large pictures, audio files, or videos. Your RAM will default to the slowest speed of the sticks, so if your current sticks are slower, say DDR2-533, then your new RAM will only run at DDR2-533 as well. However, if your current sticks are the same speed or faster, then it probably won't hurt to leave them in.