Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How do I change memory voltage and timing?

• Please log in to reply

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

Also, since you seem pretty knowledgeable in the technological department, what's your take on mixing different types of memory? Should I leave my current memory in my system, or should I remove it and just replace it with the new memory? I've heard that it isn't good to mix diff ones and that it can actually have negative effects on your PC. What's your stance on it?

I recommend you completely replace and remove the old sticks of RAM. Mixing and matching RAM is never a good idea as it usually leads to instability.
You can try all four modules together as you will have more RAM, but if stability is of utmost importance, I do not recommend it at all.
James

Edited by james_8970, 20 July 2008 - 07:54 PM.

Advertisements

APCSystems

APCSystems

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
I'm loving this site lately. I'm learning a lot from you guys. One last question before this thread comes to an end. What should I set my page file size to once I get the new memory? I ordered the OCZ memory modules yesterday, and I know that as a rule of thumb a lot of people say to set the page file to 1.5x your physical memory, so after I get the new sticks I'll have 2048MB of physical memory, so should I set my minimum and maximum page file size to 3072? I'm asking because I've also heard that the 1.5 calculation is just a myth, so I'm again asking you for your recommendation. Thanks.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

I'm loving this site lately. I'm learning a lot from you guys.

I happy to hear this :)

I haven't really fooled around with page file, so I couldn't really tell you which is best based on my personal experience. The default setting should be sufficient.
James

Edited by james_8970, 20 July 2008 - 07:53 PM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi there,

The Page File is always an interesting point. I find it best to just set it to the "System Managed Size". Often it will be stuck on some strange manual setting... :)

Cheers

Troy

APCSystems

APCSystems

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
Interesting. I guess there are a lot of mixed opinions and possible myths about the page file size. A few of you guys have suggested the System Managed so I'm going to go with that. I'd say you guys know more about it than the rest of the internet. :) System Managed it is. I'm installing my new OCZ memory tonight. I'll let you guys/girls know how it works. Thanks to everyone for their help. This site rocks. I find myself browsing through all the different areas of the forum and I'm learning a ton from this site. Very cool. Thanks again.