Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Reboot after "Setup is being restarted" Screen

• Please log in to reply

L2SILukas

L2SILukas

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
Hi everyone!
So I'm trying to install Windows XP Pro on my other computer.
Everything works fine until it reboots for the first time. Then I always get to the "Setup is being restarted" screen and right after this one disappears, there's a light blue background for a second or two.
Then my computer reboots and gets to the "Setup is being restarted" screen again. Its basically a loop. Always the same thing.

What can I do to make my other computer work??
PS: The HDD is formatted.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try booting into safe mode with command prompt...run chkdsk /f/r

Windows XP/2003

1. Restart your computer.
2. When the machine first starts again it will generally list some equipment that is installed in your machine, amount of memory, hard drives installed etc. At this point you should gently tap the F8 key repeatedly until you are presented with a Windows XP Advanced Options menu.
3. At this menu, select the option for Safe Mode with Command Prompt using the arrow keys and then press Enter key on your keyboard...
type in chkdsk /f/r press ENTER

note the single space between chkdsk and /f/r

Edited by happyrck, 16 July 2008 - 10:11 AM.

L2SILukas

L2SILukas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
You know that I do not have any Windows Versions on my computer?
It should be a clean install.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
During the installation there are two restart point:

1: After format is finished the computer loads files to be installed, and reboot. After that installation starts (39 minutes etc.)

2: At the very end of the installation the computer reboot and perform few tasks, among them asking about automatic updates etc.

At which of the two is your computer starting the loop? If after the second one, then the installation is probably incomplete. Re-install from the beginning. Format again with the slow process (never quick format).

Please note:

1:The CD must be kept inside the drive for the entire process. it will only be taken out after setting user account and desktop show up.

2: Only once will you "press any key to start installation". That's at the very beginning. don't "press any key ..." at any of the reboots.

L2SILukas

L2SILukas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
It is after the first one, when all the files are copied.

EDIT: By the way, I get
***** Warning: Syste, BOOT Fail *****
Your system maybe OverClock fail or POST interrupted.
Please enter setup to load default and reboot again.
all the time, even after I loaded the default settings.

Edited by L2SILukas, 16 July 2008 - 11:34 AM.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Then there is a hardware problem somewhere. Start with resetting the BIOS:

Clear the BIOS by doing this:Disconnect the power cable from the back of the computer. Open the side cover and carefully take out the cmos battery (looks like a silvery button). Keep it out for about 15 minutes. Reinstall and reboot. You will probably get a checksome error or some other message. If you do, enter BIOS and set time and date, save the new values and let the computer boot. Most desktops will boot into BIOS by clicking Delete or F2 immediately after switching on. There are computers in which other keys have to be used to enter BIOS. You can find the correct key when looking at the screen right after pressing the start button. Look for what key you have to press to enter setup.

L2SILukas

L2SILukas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
Ok, I did reset BIOS, set the time, then I set the Boot Device Priority.
After that, I formatted my 160GB HDD again and tried to install XP.
Now it still does the same thing... go to the blue screen and reboot, over and over again.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Disconnect the other two internal hard disks and one of the monitors. If there is an on-board monitor connection use it instead of the add-on card. Remove the add-on video card. Disconnect any external hardware such as printers, web cameras, back-up disks etc. Try to load the operating system.

If not successful download memtest86 from the link in my list below. Burn a bootable cd and boot with the new CD. Run the test for an hour or so and report if there are any errors.

Do you have any useable hard disk other then those installed? If yes, connect it in place of the 160 G and install windows. Report if successful. Alternatively you can remove the 160G and use one of the other disks for installation. If successful, we can remove the test installation latter.

There is a possibility that the installation CD the CD drive are damaged. If not successful till now you should try another CD drive. If still no good try to borrow a CD of the same version that you have. Install it and use your own product key.

If all these steps don't work then we have to suspect a motheboard or cpu problem.

Last: What made you reformat in the first place? What problems did you try to solve?

L2SILukas

L2SILukas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
I never said what my computer specs are, so I don't know why you think I have two internal HDDs and theres NO other things connected than the Keyboard and the Monitor.
It would not make sense if I posted here with the problem on the comp in my signature.

I formatted the HDD on my other comp before, there were no files on it and I wanted to use it for the comp Im trying to install now.

PC SPECS (Cause you got the wrong ones):
Intel Pentium 4, 3.2GHz
2GB DDR 2 667 RAM
Western Digital Caviar HDD 160GB
GeForce 8500GT
Asus P5VD2-VM Motherboard
Videoseven Monitor, 17"

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Look back at my previous post. everything is relevant except the two hard disks and monitors.

Advertisements

L2SILukas

L2SILukas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
It says "Pass complete, no errors, press Esc to exit" but it only ran for like 40 minutes.
Now it does something else, maybe the same thing again?
Should I leave it or can I stop it?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
I assume you talk about memtest. If it ran for about 40 minutes without errors then I would consider the memory to be OK.

L2SILukas

L2SILukas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
Yeah, I was talking about memtest
It ran for 1 hour now and no errors occured.
What can I do now?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts

Do you have any useable hard disk other then those installed? If yes, connect it in place of the 160 G and install windows. Report if successful. Alternatively you can remove the 160G and use one of the other disks for installation. If successful, we can remove the test installation latter.

There is a possibility that the installation CD the CD drive are damaged. If not successful till now you should try another CD drive. If still no good try to borrow a CD of the same version that you have. Install it and use your own product key.

If all these steps don't work then we have to suspect a motheboard or cpu problem.

Last: What made you reformat in the first place? What problems did you try to solve?

L2SILukas

L2SILukas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
I would have said that I used another Drive, but I have none...