Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Log OFF problems

• Please log in to reply

BattleCat

BattleCat

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Whenever I try to log off of my computer,(windows xp) It gives me the ending program box and says it is ending explorer.exe.
After I let the little bar go all the way to the end I then have to hit the end now button to finish shutting down.
How do I fix this?

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
WINDOWS XP SHUTDOWN TROUBLESHOOTING guide here

kasida

kasida

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
i found this problem on my pc too... if you've already fixed it, please tell me how

BattleCat

BattleCat

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
So far everything I've tried hasn't worked.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
go here and backup your registry...tweak #2

then go here and try #99

rocaddict

rocaddict

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Try booting into Safe Mode and see if it shuts down properly there. If it does, something non-os related is starting /w the OS (Instant Messenger, Anti-virus, CD burning utility, etc. that's malfunctioning, or conflicting with something else.

The cardinal rule in PC repair is to strip it down to the essentials, and re-introduce things incrementally until the issue recurs, so...

If it works fine in Safe Mode, go to Start > Run > MSCONFIG, click on the Startup tab, hit 'disable all', re-boot and test things. If that works, re-introduce them back one at a time until the issue comes back.
(N.B. you mage get some cryptic errors if non Microsoft-related items in the Services tab have items disabled in the Startup tab.

Here's a great reference so you can figure out what those Startup entries are:

http://www.lafn.org/...up/PENINDEX.HTM

Also, if you haven't already, try logging out of and manually exiting anything you can then trying to log off/re-boot. (like Instant Messenger clients.. many of them that populate in the System tray can allow you to shut them down by right-clicking on them).

Edited by rocaddict, 19 July 2008 - 12:52 PM.

BattleCat

BattleCat

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I did another deep scan last night and found 2 viruses. Everything seems to be working fine today. Thanks for all your help.