Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HELP PLEASE AVG Problems-long

• Please log in to reply

patkue

patkue

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I HAD AVG 8.0 the purchased edition. I downloaded windows media player and when I did, AVG would not open.I uninstalled AVE, I then re-installed the AVG. Then I noticed that my "Memeo" back up was missing. I did a restore point on my computer. Then the AVG was missing again. I re-installed. I did a de-frag, and noticed that my free space went down in one day from 68% to 39%. I tried to open AVG and it would not open, I did another uninstall. and re-install. I checked my free space again and it was 12% I then uninstalled AVG again, and installed the file Revo, and uninstalled everything it could find on AVG. I rechecked my free space and it was up to 27% again. I then did a search for AVG and it turned up over 300 files that I manually deleated. I still do NOT have my original free space again, I cannot find the hidden AVG files to uninstall and I have a mess on my hands. I am NOT computer literate at all, and very much need some help. Thanks in advance. P.K.

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
Recommended avg uninstall/reinstall instructions:

Win2K/XP/Vista Users

1. Download & save the latest AVG Free installation package from http://free.grisoft.com
2. Run the AVG Free install file
3. Choose the Uninstall option and follow the setup wizard, when you get to the part to remove user settings, select it.
4. Restart your computer then...
5. Now reinstall AVG using the setup file you got in step 1 and update it.

If your OS is Win Vista also have a look @ this Sticky post [freeforum.avg.com].

Download the install file to your computer... do not ever try to run from the internet as that will always cause issues. We also recommend that you do not run if from a directory with spaces in the name.. such as your Desktop or My Documents folders.

Many users don't disable the other protection programs as they should so they can stop AVG from installing properly.... this can stop AVG from adding in its required startup items. We always recommend temporarily disabling before installing....& restart the computer twice before re-enabling.

http://freeforum.avg...5,backpage=,sv=