Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Very Complicated Problem Need Help Badly

• Please log in to reply

AshenMaster

AshenMaster

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I am currently experiencing one of the most complex problems i have ever had.
I am currently running on a 40Gb IDE hdd that cam with my comp due to problems with my other hard drive a 320Gb Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 SATA hard drive. The problem always occurs shortly after cloning my current drive on to the newer one the result being that the files eem to gradually corrupt causing complete and epic failure of the newer hard drive forcing me to use my old one until i repair the new one. However the drive is now causing me a different problem. It followed the original route of failing except that it ended in a disk read error so like normal i went back to the original hard drive and was going to format the new one to prepare it for use again when i remembered there were a few files i needed critically so i went looking for something that i could use to try and salvage these few files before formatting or maybe even get the hard drive working again in original form. I found ZAR (zero assumption recovery) which said it was free so i let it scan the newer sata hard drive and show me what i could recover only to discover it would only recover 4 files/folders at a time, i unfortunately had a lot more files to recover and not enough patience to let it scan the hard drive over and over so i cancelled and went looking for other pieces of sotware, one piece i found required me to restart which i did. Upon reboot it hung on the windows xp splash screen with the loading bar still going from left to right but not progressing any further. At this point really stressed and annoyed i attempted to restart the computer in safe mode however it always stopped at mup.sys and froze there. I later removed the newer hard drive and restarted the computer with only the old IDE drive and it worked perfectly. I have nore recently attempted connecting the drive while the computer is loaded (which i really am not sure if it is a great idea but it was worth a shot) only to have this freeze up the computer whenever i try to load up anything like the control panel or the device manager. Upon disconnecting the newer hard drive everything catchs up and the computer works fine again. Now after reading this you may think my problem is the same as a lot of other peoples or similar which it is except for the fact that i am using a very old power supply which only has IDE cables which means i am having to use and IDE to SATA converter cable. I also have another problem which is that i currently dont have my xp disk which means i cant do a repair operation using that. After several hours spent trawling the internet i have been unable to find any answers and at this point am really hoping that you can help me fix this and prevent similar problems with the new hard drive otherwise im going to have to go to a computer shop and spend a small fortune having them diagnose whats wrong and fix it. I would like to be able to recover the files needed but at this point i am really not that bother as for the most part i can either make them or aquire them again. Thanks once again for any help you can offer

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Hi AshenMaster...welcome to G2G... :)

I hit this same problem some time ago trying to recover data for a client...
computer refused to boot with their drive slaved to my system...
same when trying their drive in a usb enclosure...and attaching it after getting booted up...it would lock up the computer
same with linux ...just hang the system up...
after spending about 3 hours using every trick I knew...I finally RMA'ed the drive ..it was a 320Gb Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 too..
you can wait and see if anybody else has a workaround for this but I'm afraid the data is gone unless you want to spend thousands trying to get a recovery service to do it for you

Edited by happyrck, 17 July 2008 - 04:40 PM.

AshenMaster

AshenMaster

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Ok thanks for the help will the hard be able to be recovered to a working state coz if not i am not gonna be happy not so bothered about the files i just need the bigger hard drive

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
OK...NO...SORRY...OK ???

Edited by happyrck, 19 July 2008 - 02:44 PM.

AshenMaster

AshenMaster

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
kk cheers anyrate