Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Very odd issue - Windows XP laptop

• Please log in to reply

SupremeOstrich

SupremeOstrich

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have a Gateway laptop (MN- MX3416) that seems to be freezing at the BIOS flash screen, but it gives me a mouse pointer with an hourglass next to it. At first I thought this might be a Windows issue, however I removed the hard drive, and still the error occurs. I replaced the memory next, and the problem persists!

For the time being, I have no hard drive installed, 256MB PC2-4200 memory (the only known good I had around), and no battery. I cannot imagine why this error occurs here, any feedback would be appreciated though!

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The odd BIOS still comes around that is mouse controlled and some people who (with all due respect) don't know any better think its part of Windows.

If its freezing on the BIOS screen and you've changed what you can its more likely a problem with the board inside the laptop which would mean its either covered under warranty or the entire unit's a write-off.

SupremeOstrich

SupremeOstrich

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Well if anyone cares I did end up resolving the issue. The left mouse button on the touchpad was pressed down (the user had damaged it) and it was causing an error. When I unplugged the mouse from the mobo the computer boots fine.