Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

problems w/ XP - odd startup - slow shutdown

• Please log in to reply

bigbasha

bigbasha

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
here's the link to the malware treatment forum...
http://www.geekstogo...ly-t199822.html

i've been recommended to this forum by user Ness. here is a list of my most recent issues...

programs i'm trying to uninstall/don't use and i think are a problem:
omnipass, weblink (softex)
pc doctor (don't use)
hp organize
these all say "The install shield engine (iKernel.exe) could not be launched. Error loading type library/DLL."

is internet explorer essential? could it be uninstalled?

microsoft works suite add-in for ms word, when i try to remove it says Add/Remove prgms: fatal error during installation. "setup is unable to register tasks"

i had fruity loops installed and went to use my friends midi keyboard cause he just got it and wanted to test it and have me show him some pointers... now it won't uninstall. MA_CMIDI it's called here's the error: Error loading C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\INSTAL~1\PROFES~1\RunTime\10\50\Intel32\Ctor.dll this specified module could not be found.

when the pc boots up, the windows dl updates shield appears and says "downloading: 0%" if you drag the mouse over it... then disappears, plus i haven't had an xp update happen in a while.

screens run smooth after a re-boot, but then slowly start lagging when i try to minimize them, in an animated pace. really frustrating. it seems to run smoother if i don't maximize the window, and keep them open as a smaller size, then minimizing or going to the other application isn't as bad. and it usually doesn't lag. but always ends up doing it after a few hours.

now when i actually start the computer it's something... it goes to this screen that says:
"please select the operating system" it gives 3 choices...

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Microsoft Windows Recovery Console

the 1st choice is no good and it goes to a startup looking b/w screen w white blocks across the bottom and it says...
"Windows could not start. missing or corrurt.
Windows\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

attempt fix... windows setup using original CD-ROM
select "r" @ 1st screen to start repair
troubleshoot f8

the 2nd choice brings me to this drive and is the os i'm currently running...

the 3rd choice gives me an 4 options of which drive to run/attempt to recover i guess,

it's like
3. D:\FAT
4. C:\NFTS

when i try to pick either it asks for admin pwd. i exit.

that's a pretty details description of all the problems i know of...

recently the taskbar (bottom right) has a problem, it runs normal after startup, then i use the volume or go back to look for it later and the animated divider & arrow is missing, and replaced with a 90 degree zig zag that doesnt move or disappear. i havent tried to open another program that runs in the taskbar to see what happens yet... i usually go to the start, accessories for the volume and then next time i need it i end up restarting. i just thought of the idea to run something like java that would pop up over there to. anyways, that's something that happended over the past couples days.

i want to let you know i do look up stuff constantly and try new things, recently i used this program called startuplite, it only found 2 things that shouldn't be running and it seemed to help quite a bit with the windows lagging and the startup speed of course.

i also tried checking my processing with a task manager prgm i believe it was called taskmanager.exe i fould a 2 spool.exe's and didn't know how to pinpoint if it was a problem, but i figured one was for the printer. i heard trojans are hidden sometimes as spooi.exe (but in uppercase i)?

recently, zipgenius was giving me trouble. i would extract something and nothing would happen. then when i would restart then or later, even hrs later, zg.exe task had to be ended manually "end now"

also, windows vitrual memory thing pops up randomly @ the bottom right

i recently updated to windows srv pk 3 & security update for ms nw 2.0....

and i noticed the task bar will return to normal if you run a program that appears there.

oh and the windows have caught on to my non-maximizing technique and are lagging everytime i close them.

patiently waiting :)

edit* : windows update issue has gone away, it updates regularly now.

Edited by bigbasha, 16 July 2008 - 05:40 PM.

Advertisements