Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help - virus and blue screen! [CLOSED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

peb143

peb143

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi, I need help cleaning up my Mother's computer if it is even possible to save it. I don't know what she clicked on but she now has a virus that changed the background to "Warning! Spyware detected on your computer!". Also a few minutes after being booted up it goes to the blue screen and restarts the computer. Unfortunately, my mother doesn't know much about computers and had NO antivirus software at all! (ugh! I wish i knew this earlier so i could have installed it for her and avoided this whole problem!)

I downloaded some spyware programs onto an SD with my computer and tried to install them on her computer in safe mode but the only program i was able to install at all was hijack this. I have been unable to download any programs at all in normal boot up mode either because it turns to the blue screen very shortly after boot up.

I desperately need your help, she has a lot of important information she needs on the computer and I really don't want to have to re-install windows. Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated. (You might have to dumb it down for me because I am not extremely knowledgeable about all this stuff)
Here is the hijack this log....

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 1:20:09 AM, on 7/16/2008
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)
Boot mode: Safe mode

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\csrss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\ntndis.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\wmiprvse.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.msnbc.msn.com/
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,AutoConfigURL = http://proxysrv.inds...onfig/proxy.pac
F2 - REG:system.ini: Shell=Explorer.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\ntndis.exe
F2 - REG:system.ini: UserInit=C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe,C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntos.exe,
O2 - BHO: DriveLetterAccess - {5CA3D70E-1895-11CF-8E15-001234567890} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswshx.dll
O2 - BHO: AVG Security Toolbar - {A057A204-BACC-4D26-9990-79A187E2698E} - C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\AVGTOO~1.DLL
O2 - BHO: QuickTalk 2.1 - {A34FA88D-8437-4634-8A60-E913011EF2E5} - C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\APPLIC~1\sp1\mstalk.dll
O3 - Toolbar: AVG Security Toolbar - {A057A204-BACC-4D26-9990-79A187E2698E} - C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\AVGTOO~1.DLL
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IgfxTray] C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotKeysCmds] C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PCTVOICE] pctspk.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DVDLauncher] "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\DVDLauncher.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [dla] C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswctrl.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UpdateManager] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sonic\Update Manager\sgtray.exe" /r
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [lphc1joj0e5be] C:\WINDOWS\system32\lphc1joj0e5be.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG8_TRAY] C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgtray.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [cdloader] "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\mjusbsp\cdloader2.exe" MAGICJACK
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [xrt_Shell] C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\xrt_gsjx.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Run] regsvr32.exe /s "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\sp1\mstalk.dll"
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O20 - AppInit_DLLs: avgrsstx.dll
O23 - Service: AVG Free8 WatchDog (avg8wd) - AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgwdsvc.exe

--
End of file - 3067 bytes

Advertisements

Thunderbird1988

Thunderbird1988

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,416 posts
Hello peb143,

I am afraid I have bad news for you :)

One or more of the identified infections is a backdoor trojan.

This allows hackers to remotely control your computer, steal critical system information and download and execute files.

I would counsel you to disconnect this PC from the Internet immediately. If you do any banking or other financial transactions on the PC or if it should contain any other sensitive information, please get to a known clean computer and change all passwords where applicable, and it would be wise to contact those same financial institutions to apprise them of your situation.

Though the trojan has been identified and can be killed, because of it's backdoor functionality, your PC is very likely compromised and there is no way to be sure your computer can ever again be trusted. Many experts in the security community believe that once infected with this type of trojan, the best course of action would be a reformat and reinstall of the OS. Please read these for more information:

How Do I Handle Possible Identify Theft, Internet Fraud and CC Fraud?
When Should I Format, How Should I Reinstall

We can still clean this machine but I can't guarantee that it will be 100% secure afterwards. Let me know what you decide to do. :)

Thunderbird1988

peb143

peb143

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks for the advice. The problem with reinstalling the operating system is that when I did that before with my windows xp disc the pixels and resolution was all screwed up. A friend had to come over and somehow found a missing driver or something and downloaded it from the windows website to fix the problem. The friend is no longer in the area and I have no clue what he did or how he did it so I am nervous about reinstalling xp because i dont know if I will be able to fix the problem myself.
If any of this sounds familiar to you and you can offer some advice that would be great and I would much rather reinstall xp. But if not I would love it if you could instruct me on how to clean out the viruses as my second option. Thanks for the advice!!!

Thunderbird1988

Thunderbird1988

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,416 posts
Hello peb143,

Well, I don't have enough knowlegde or experience to help if that problem reoccurs. However, the tech staff of this forum might have a solution if that problem reoccurs.

Please let me know what you decode to do. :)

Thunderbird1988

Thunderbird1988

Thunderbird1988

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,416 posts
Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.