Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Audio files suddenly corrupt

• Please log in to reply

Aiwendil42

Aiwendil42

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi. I was going about my business today when I found that many of the mp3s on my computer are corrupt. This happened suddenly - just earlier in the day I played many of the files that are now corrupt with no problem. I have two hard drives (a large one for media and a smaller one for the OS and applications) and this has affected files on both. Not everything is affected - some mp3s still work fine. Some play but with choppy and noisy audio; others don't play at all. It seems that all the files in any particular folder will do the same thing - either they're all fine, they're all choppy, or they all don't play. I wondered if it might be the media player, but I've checked the files in different players and results are consistent. I also tried some of the files on my other computer and again, same results.

All that I can think of that I did between this morning, when everything was fine, and this evening when I discovered the problem is that I downloaded a couple of .zip bundles of audio files and extracted them. All of those files, however, seem to be fine.

Any idea what's going on here? Is there any way to recover the files or are they lost? Thanks for any help.

Edited by Aiwendil42, 17 July 2008 - 10:29 AM.

Advertisements