Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Tracing malicious MAil

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi dudes

i have this person sending me malicious emails from a gmail add to my work email.

Just wanna know is there a way to track the ip address or computer that is sending this mail.

Also can i find out the domain this computer is on or any infor about the sender???

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,588 posts
It will vary depeding on the mail client you use. However, based on using Outlook;

right click on the message and select options (message options if your using outlook 2007). At the bottom, under headers, is where it shows all the specific routing information for this message. IF you need to forward this message to your mail admins, don't forward the message. Create a new message and attach it. That way the mail headers will be intact.

It could be very likely that it is indeed coming from gmail. the only things you can do there is to report it to gmail as an abuse of thier mail system. Then let your admins know, so they can add it to the spam filter list (that I hope your company uses).