Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP is confusing me

• Please log in to reply

BreakingBoundaries

BreakingBoundaries

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Not sure if this is the right place to post, so please move if it is not.

Okay, so a few days ago I'm in my basement looking for some stuff, and lo and behold I find a computer.

Hooked that baby up, and its an XP. Yay. Well, it had sooo much junk and programs, that I decided a clean reinstall.

So, put the disc, let it go, installed drivers, and antivirus.

Then I restart one time, and the CPU usage is at like 100%. From a clean reinstall!

So in task manager a file named cfp.exe was eating my computer, with about 80%...and then when I connected to the internet, svchost took 100% also...on my laptop it takes like 15.

Then I remember using this computer about 3-4 years back. I used to play this game Warcraft 3, and then today I tried it again. 100% usage and the game takes minutes to load and freezes/lags. Many explanation or what I can do to help it? Thanks.

Oh, ah I'll throw in some specs. Its a Dell Dimension 2300. 640 RAM. 30 GB Hard Drive. Hmm...oh right, Intel Celeron processor. :)

Edited by BreakingBoundaries, 17 July 2008 - 11:13 AM.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
when you say you decided to do a clean reinstall....how did you go about doing that?

CFP.exe is part of the Comodo firewall package...did you install comodo?

BreakingBoundaries

BreakingBoundaries

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Oh it makes sense now... CFP= Comodo Firewall Pro. Yeah I installed that, ouch, didn't know it would be such a resource hog.
For the reinstall, you know, popped the disk in, deleted partitions. Created new, formatted using NTFS, then it was basically done.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

For the reinstall, you know, popped the disk in, deleted partitions. Created new, formatted using NTFS, then it was basically done.

yeah that's what i was wondering...since you listed a "non system" process running after a reinstall...just wanted to see if you really wiped the drive first

maybe try again without comodo (or remove comodo and see what happens)?

BreakingBoundaries

BreakingBoundaries

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
That is my plan. If I see a major change, I'll move to Sunbelt. Hopefully that will work. Thanks for the replies.
EDIT: Oh new Firefox, I'll see if that changes my internet causing crazy CPU usage. Gotta keep the hope alive. :)

Edited by BreakingBoundaries, 17 July 2008 - 11:59 AM.