Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

lan connection using usb

• Please log in to reply

jr chambers

jr chambers

• PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
ok, i am out of lan cables and need to get a unit on the internet, i know that you can use another pc as the gateway,but, can it be done with a usb port at both pcs? thanks jrc

Advertisements

jr chambers

jr chambers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
ok, i think i can add pci networking card and then use the gateway method to connect to the internet, any thoughts on that?

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Why not use a router or a simple switch?
I've never heard of an internet connection between 2 PCs their USB ports.

Regards,
Olrik

jr chambers

jr chambers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
This is a business and they are not able to run anymore cable to the server so i am attempting to try to save from hearing the "we can't do anything" to get this unit plugged up.
jrc

jr chambers

jr chambers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
ok, so let me ask this, is it possilbe to add a router to an exisiting network?i have a router to try this if that is possible, but they already have a wep key in place.so how do i hack into the network and use this?
jrc

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
I'm sorry but I'm not going to provide you ways to hack into a network.
It is against our TOU.
I suggest you talk to the man in charge of the network.

Regards,
Olrik

jr chambers

jr chambers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
please understand that this is not a request to do something that is not allowed, it was the way i stated it it,sorry. we don't really have an I T guy and it's been a real pot luck as to who does the setup of the pcs and the network. the real thing i'm trying to do is hook a diagnostic equipment to the internet to allow automatic updates/software updates for it, it has the windows ce software and the pc is it's master/server(which i want to connect it to, to use the internet to complete said tasks above). so what i need to do is connect to the internet without another lan connection to the main server that we have(because i was told we can't run anymore cables to the main server. this, i'm not sure as to why but that is what i'm working with. i'm just trying to get the equipment working as it should...sorry that i made it sound that i was doing an illegal thing, sometimes foot-in-mouth happens, that is the case here. thank you for your time and info to read this and reply as you have before.
joel c