Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is it smitfraud? [CLOSED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

jeane

jeane

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Winxp sp2 computer is not showing any noticeable symptoms like those described for smitfraud, but is running very slow. All windows updates are up to date.
When i checked add/remove software i saw antispywarebot, which alerted me to search further. i uninstalled antispywarebot, then checked the registry where i found many, many entries for names such as adultgambling, antispywarebox, antispywaredeluxe, etc etc.
HJT log attached, malwarebytes scan showed nothing. spybot, adaware all up to date and showing no infections. AV is AVG, up to date and showing no infections.
any help greatly appreciated!

Attached Files

Advertisements

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
Welcome to GTG.

Don't see anything alarming in the log there. Let's run some deeper scans to see if they pick up anything.

Download ATF Cleaner at http://www.atribune..../click.php?id=1
Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program. Under Main choose Select All
Click the Empty Selected button.

If you use the Firefox browser click Firefox at the top and choose Select All
NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.

If you use the Opera browser click 'Opera' at the top and choose 'Select All'
NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.

Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.

Perform an online scan with Internet Explorer at Panda ActiveScan http://www.pandasoft.../activescan.htm

* Click on 'Scan your PC' button. There should be a popup - if you have a pop-up blocker, make sure it's not blocking it.
* Click 'Check Now' & a pop-up window will appear.
* Enter your Country, State and E-mail Address & click 'Scan Now' - begin downloading Panda's ActiveX controls (8 MB size).
* Begin the scan by selecting My Computer.
* If it finds any malware, it will offer you a report. Ignore any entry it finds (since it wants you to buy the program for removal) as we will address this later.
* Click on see report. Then click Save report.
* Post that log in your next reply.

Go to http://www.bleepingc...to-use-combofix and follow the instructions on how to install the Recovery Console and run ComboFix. Go through all the steps until posting the log part. Post the combofix log here.

jeane

jeane

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks, i've carried out all instructions, here's the panda scan report and the combofix log. i have checked the registry and it still contains many questionable entries, nothing's changed there.
look forward to hearing from you!

Attached Files

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
Download SmitfraudFix at http://siri.urz.free...mitfraudFix.zip and extract the content (a folder named SmitfraudFix) to your desktop.

Open the SmitfraudFix folder. Double-click on smitfraudfix.cmd and select option #1 - Search by typing 1 and press Enter. A text file will appear, which lists infected files (if present). Please copy/paste the content of that report into your next reply.

IMPORTANT: Do NOT run option #2 or any other option until you are directed to do so!

NOTE: process.exe is detected by some antivirus programs as a Risk Tool. It is not a virus. If you get this detected, ignore it.

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.