Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vista to XP

• Please log in to reply

w2kj

w2kj

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
I've been wanting to downgrade from Vista to XP. I've seen alot of folks with laptops having problems when downgrading....but I would like some info on doing the same to my desktop. I have a HP Slimline s3200n with Vista Home Premium. I found this link from Compaq...these lines are at the top says:
Posted Image

Am I led to believe that HP's desktop pc's don't/won't have any issues? :)

Edited by w2kj, 17 July 2008 - 05:19 PM.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
It says the same thing for your H-P.

http://h10025.www1.h...roduct=3548658#

And heres a spec sheet for your computer.

http://h10025.www1.h...product=3548658

The problem area's are where you have new hardware that there are no drivers made for XP. There are workaround for some of these problems, such as using slightly older drivers, but sometimes it's easier to just buy XP compatible hardware and install it. I'm talking about video and sound here. If you can find XP drivers then it's good. You should be able to find good drivers for the video, the ALC 888S sound, and all the rest of your hardware. I would look for specific hardware drivers on the H-P website, but the generic windows drivers may work just as well.

Go for it, all that may happen is you will need to look for a workaround for some drivers. I would also make a Recovery vista DVD for the computer just in case you decide to go back to Vista. I like vista but i don't like the high handed attitude Microsoft sets in the DMR rights in it. So i keep a XP computer around just because i like to use some older hardware that makes things easier.

SRX660

w2kj

w2kj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
The main thing that i don't like is it's sooooo slow. It's running 1 GB o' ram....would I experience a much quicker machine if I max out the RAM (4GB)? :)

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I doubt it. I have a acer laptop with vista basic that takes twice as long to bootas my desktop computer. Adding 2 gigs of memory from the original 512 MB of memory did not improve the startup time. The computer runs fine but again games are a bit slow on it.

SRX660