Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Trouble displaying laptop on TV

• Please log in to reply

Jestersmith

Jestersmith

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a Gateway 6510GZ Notebook. It only has VGA out and I have an older TV with RCA in only. I got a VGA to RCA chord off of ebay and I'm not sure if it's defective. The picture I got was terrible - very scrambled. Is it possible to hook my laptop up to the TV? Are there display settings I need to fix? Did I get a bad chord? Is my TV just too old? lol

Many thanks in advance

Edited by Jestersmith, 18 July 2008 - 10:08 AM.

Advertisements

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
Well not sure exactly what you have to do but yes you'd have to set the resolution down as far as possible.... and it may be the video card in the laptop just won't sync up with the tv.... Since you are using a convertor cable, obviously the laptop wasn't designed to do what you want it to so it may not be capable...

Televisions have a much lower resolution than even a basic vga monitor.... I think its something like 320 by 240 or some such.....

Good luck...