Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Port Forwarding on Linksys WRT54gx

• Please log in to reply

RjBass

RjBass

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
Ok so I have a linksys wrt54gx router and 9 computers plugged into it with more on the way. On this network I currently have Real VNC installed on each station so that I can remotely troubleshoot network and computer issues.

I just added the 9th computer to the network today and at the rate that this business is growing i expect to be adding another 3 to four more computers before the end of the year. The only problem I am facing is that the linksys router won't allow for more then 8 port forwards that i can see. All the computers on the network have internal network static ip address's so that I can open the proper port to the right computer in the router. Now that I have filled up all eight slots I need to find a way to add more port forwards to the list.

Is there a way to add more port forwards other then 8 to Linksys wrt54g series routers? Do I need to use the port triggering option and if so, what is the proper way to do that?

Thanks.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Check that there isn't an option to specify a range of IPs rather than having to specify each one individually.
Failing this either a new router or third-party software would be needed to expand the range.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
That specific brand of router has plenty of 3rd party firmware that can handle that sort of thing. There is the chance that the router doesn't take the firmware upgrade and becomes dead. You will lose any support from Linksys.

From Wikipedia:

The WRT54G is notable for being the first consumer-level network device that had its firmware source code released to satisfy the obligations of the GNU GPL. This allows programmers to modify the firmware to change or add functionality to the device. Several third-party firmware projects provide the public with enhanced firmware for the WRT54G. See Third party firmware projects.

The link to third party firmware projects: http://en.wikipedia....rmware_projects