Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't connect through modem, but can through router

• Please log in to reply

alphaguy

alphaguy

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
title pretty much says it all. This computer's been connected to the internet through a router for a very long time. But now i need to take the router away, so i decided to connect it directly to the modem. However when i do that, i get "a network cable is unplugged" and nothing will ork. I can see on the modem that everythings doing fine, in fact its still receiving signals, but it does not send. So i decided to plug it back into the router, and miraculously it works again. -.- i've honestly never seen this problem before so i have not a clue how to fix it. I tried googling it but all i get is router not working but modem is, which is pretty much useless. Any help would be appreciated, thanks

oh and the router is a microsoft router MN-500

Edited by alphaguy, 18 July 2008 - 02:58 PM.

Advertisements

ClickRight

ClickRight

• PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
Do you happen to know the model of your modem? Likely what happened is your network card is manually set to attain a speed/duplex which your modem does not support. Follow these steps to see if that's the issue:

• Open the Control Panel
  • Go to Network Connections
  • Right-click on the connection you are using to connect to your modem and select Properties.
  • Click The Configure button on the General tab.
  • On the window that opens, select the Advanced tab.
  • Look for something similar to "Speed and Duplex" Note that it may be called link speed or something else. It will have choices like 100Mbps Full Duplex, 100Mbps Half Duplex, and Auto. You probably want this set to Auto, but if that doesn't work, try 10Mbps Half-Duplex
If that doesn't work, try a new network cable, either way post back to let us know how it went.

alphaguy

alphaguy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
hey guess what.. I LOVE YOU MAN this worked like a charm.. its been ages since ive been able to find a solution to a problem computer related in such a short amount of time.. THANK YOU

ClickRight

ClickRight

• PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

hey guess what.. I LOVE YOU MAN this worked like a charm.. its been ages since ive been able to find a solution to a problem computer related in such a short amount of time.. THANK YOU

You're very welcome, glad to be of assistance! Thanks for posting back with the solution, and I hope you'll stay around the forums.

alphaguy

alphaguy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
oh actually i have another question while we're at it, at home i have a router that has the exact same problem only its the router not working... would it be fixed if i did the same thing? i lost the disc for setup and the router doesnt seem to be responding so i suspect that the thing is broken, however i cant confirm it.. soo.. .yeah.. its a trendnet router no details for me to give u cuz im not home right now but yeah... thanks in advance again.

ClickRight

ClickRight

• PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
It could be the same problem, or it could be a problem with the router itself. One thing you can try is resetting the router (usually while pressing the reset button on the back for 10 seconds while the router is on) but you'll have to check your manual or respond back here for more help if you need it.

rocaddict

rocaddict

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
It's likely settings, not a defect in the router or modem.

I work for a major US IS so...

It all depends on which is set up to control the connection.. If the modem is set up to allow the router to control the connection, and you remove the router, there's no control machanism. (This also depends on what type of connection you have to your provider.. DHCP or PPPoE)

If the connection for your area is PPPoE and the router is set to control the connection, it logs you in and the modem just blindly passes the information back and forth. If the modem is set to control the connection, it's just the opposite. Based on what you have stated in this thread, your area is likely PPPoE. Many modems can be configured either way, to control the connection or act as a so-called 'dumb modem', meaning that it just blindly passes the information back and forth, and lets the router do the work. You'd need to contact your ISP with the model # of the modem to find out how to change it.

Some DHCP modems can just be reset and they'll connect you just fine, but then if you put the router back in the equation, they'll fight each other for control, and you wont be able to get back on-line until you change the settings in one of them.