Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Urgent Help needed! Cannot boot Vista without DVD in drive.

• Please log in to reply

Caveman9000

Caveman9000

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I will try to make this as detailed and short as possible. This all started yesterday.

I used to dual boot Windows XP and Vista Ultimate. My XP was on my 160g HDD and my Vista install is on my 250g HDD. However I hardly use XP anymore and decided to turn into storage so I formatted it. I was also aware that I need to repair the boot files so I did using the repair function my Vista DVD. So I did that and my computer restarted fine. However, I restarted again today(I never shutoff my computer unless restarting) and I get the following message along these lines:

The following is corrupt boot/bcd

0xc000000f

However I notice Vista boots fine when I have the DVD in the drive. I tried everything off the repair console and nothing works. The "Repair startup" option doesn't detect any problems with booting up(even though I get that error message). I even tried using EasyBCD 1.7.2 but I really don't know how to use it that well. Another thing I should mention is that when I use the "bootrec /rebuildbcd" command in the command prompt, it doesn't detect any Windows installations(even though there is one). Now another odd reason is when I'm in the Repair prompt it says my Vista is on F: drive but when I'm actually in Vista it says it's C:

Can anyone help me out? Maybe this could be fixed with EasyBCD? Any suggestions would be much appreciated. I know I don't have to format because the OS is working fine minus the boot files.

Edited by Caveman9000, 18 July 2008 - 05:53 PM.

Advertisements

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
EasyBCD: Find the option that says "Repair Vista Bootloader." I think that will do it for you.

The creator of EasyBCD can be found at his forum at neosmart.net - I've gotten good EasyBCD info from him as well.