Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

xp sp2 before activation

• Please log in to reply

leza

leza

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Doing a repair install of xp sp1.
Can i install the sp2 network install before activation ?
So i donīt need to go online with only sp1.

Thanks.
Luiz.

Advertisements

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Hello Leza and welcome to Geeks to Go! :)

Remember that after a repair install all updates are lost.
The best way to get your updates back is to get them from the windows update (MS Site).
If your running XP simply open your Start Menu, go to "All Programs" and select Windows Update
You will need internet access for this but that will be no problem if you only go to the Microsoft Site.
I do recommend activating XP the moment you can.

Regards,
Olrik

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
The easist method is explained here.

http://www.winsupers..._slipstream.asp

This is slipstreaming the network SP2 into a XP copy. It looks complicatedbut it can be done by anyone. I prefer using the Nlite method myself.

Nlite method

To slipstream XP and SP2 you'll need:

* Your original Windows XP setup disc.
* The network installation package of Windows XP Service Pack 2. It's a 266M download, so if you don't have a high-speed connection, get a friend who has one to download it for you and burn it onto CD.
* A copy of nLite. nLite requires Microsoft's .NET Framework; if you don't already have it installed, the easiest way to get it is by using Windows Update. Install .NET Framework first, then install your copy of nLite.
* Loads of hard disk space. You'll need at least 1100 megabytes free; you can reclaim the space once you've completed slipstreaming.
* A CD burner and blank CD writeable disc.
* CD burning software capable of burning a disc image file (iso). Any recent version of Nero (including Nero Express) or Easy CD Creator will do.
To streamline the process, before you commence create a folder called XPCD (you may choose another name if you wish). You'll use this to store a copy of your original XP setup disc:

1. Click Start -> Run, type cmd and click Open.
2. At the Command prompt type md \XPCD and press Enter.
3. Type exit to close the Command window.

Slipstreaming

Once you've gathered all the components for slipstreaming, you're ready to roll:

1. Place your original Windows setup CD in the drive. If the Windows setup screen appears, close it.
2. Start nLite and click Next when the initial screen appears.
3. Click the Browse button and locate the drive in which you've placed the Windows setup CD, then click OK.
4. A second Browse dialog will appear immediately, requesting the location where you'll store a copy of your Windows files. Select the XPCD folder you created earlier and click OK. nLite will copy your Windows setup CD files to the XPCD folder. Once the copying has completed, click Next.
5. Click the Browse button in the Integrate Service Pack section and locate the copy of Service Pack 2 you downloaded. It should be called WindowsXP-KB835935-SP2-ENU.exe or something similar. Select the file and click Open. nLite will extract the contents of the service pack and then update the original files in the XPCD folder.
6. Click OK to close the Integrated Install Complete box.
7. You're now ready to create a bootable CD image file, which you'll then burn to CD. By default, nLite sets the CD volume label to WinLite, which you'll see displayed in quotation marks in the Make Bootable CD Image box. It makes sense to change this to match the volume label on your original Windows setup disc. The easiest way to check what that is, provided your setup disc is still in the CD drive, is to open My Computer and check the volume label displayed on the drive. If the setup disc you're using is the original full version of XP Home, for example, change "WinLite" to "WXHFPP_EN". Then click the Make ISO button, choose a location for the image file – the desktop is fine – rename the image file to match the volume label (in our example, it will be WXHFPP_EN.ISO) and click Save.
8. Once the image file has been created, click Cancel to exit nLite. (nLite has many other features, but you don't need them in order to create a standard slipstreamed Windows.)
9. The last step is to burn the iso image file you've created to CD, so place a blank writeable CD in your CD burner, then use your CD burning software to burn the iso image. The process differs depending on the burning software you use.

* If you're using the full version of Nero, select Burn Image from the File Menu, select your iso file and click Burn.
* In Nero Express, click Disc Image Or Saved Project, in the Files Of Type box select Image Files (*.nrg,*.iso,*.cue), locate your iso file and click Open, then click Next.
* If you're using Easy CD Creator (version 6), select the Disc Copier, in the Source box choose Select Image File, locate your iso file and click Open, then select the destination drive and click the Begin Disc Copy icon.

That's it, you're done. Label your disc appropriately and store it safely.

Halfway down on this website is a visual Nlite slipstream process.

http://www.geekgirls..._slipstream.htm

SRX660

leza

leza

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
My os: xp sp1.
Have to do a repair install.
Do i need to follow these 2 steps:

1- repair install using the original xp cd with sp1.
2- upgrade from sp1 to sp2 using the file WindowsXP-KB835935-SP2-PTB.exe

Or
Could i use the slipstreamed (with sp2) cd to do a repair of sp1 ?
This will only repair sp1 keeping the original service pack , or it will repair sp1 and upgrade to sp2 in a single step ?

Thanks.
Luiz.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
If you really need to do a repair install, slipstreaming SP2 and running the CD will only complicate things. I tried that on a compaq computer and was getting error messages. I finally just did a clean install of SP1 then installed SP2 later. The customer was not happy that he had to setup his Internet connections and he lost all his emails. Nothing else i could do about it.

So, i would do the repair installof SP1 first. It would be nice if you has SP2 already downloaded and burned to a cd so you could copy it and run it on the computer before you even got on the internet.

SRX660