Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

print spooler service not working?

• Please log in to reply

katbird_27

katbird_27

• Pip
  • 4 posts
that was the first problem i found. in trying to figure that problem out i discovered that my printer was no longer in the comp. I have NO CLUE how that had happened as I had just used it the day before with no problems. it is hooked up properly. I have found no help on the coomp as to how to fix the print spooler service or even what it is. i then go to my printers website and see what help i can get there (its a lexmark z25) I see that there are a couple of drivers to download, so i do that. it gets to the install point and i get an error message saying its not a valid win32 file or something like that. this message also occured when i gave up for the night and decided to surf, i notice that firefox needed to be updated, so i do that, but that invalid message occured.
I am aware that there is most likely 2 separate problems here. the most important one is the printer one.

Advertisements

rocaddict

rocaddict

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
I've been working in Tech Support for a few years and see this a fair bit.

I'm presuming you're running XP yes?

Check this:

1) Go to Start > Run SERVICES.MSC

2) look through the list to find Print Spooler:

3) double-click on it to get the Properties page.

4) Make sure the Startup Type is set to Automatic. If it's set to Disabled, that may be the problem.
Check to make sure the Service Status days Started. If it's not because it was set as Manual or Disabled, click Start.

5) If you get an error about a Dependency Service, click on the Dependencies service, and see what hther Service you need to check.

6) Check for a Service called LXBCE(something), repeat step 4 with it and any dependencies the Print Spooler and/or the LXBCE (Lexmark-specific, but can be used by other brands) may have.

With respect to the 'invalid win32 application', that's likely another issue. Make sure you are not downloading Vista drivers to install on XP, as you will get that same message.

katbird_27

katbird_27

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I did that and i still get error 1075 the dependancy service does not exist or has been marked for deletion when trying start the spooler. I also didn't find any thing LXBCE, in the services list.
thank you for starting the process thaough

rocaddict

rocaddict

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Does is specify what service? Can you look on the print spooler Properties tab > Dependancies and check which one is missing?

katbird_27

katbird_27

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
the only thing listed was remote procedure call (RPC)
so i go to it to see if it needs to be restarted it says its started.
I noticed a funky think at the end of the path to excutable. could be completely normal, but it doesn't look like your average file name either. here it is:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost -k rpcss

rocaddict

rocaddict

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost is perfectly legit. If fact, you'll see several instances of in in Task Manager.

( I have it 4 times in mine right now. )

If you kill those instances, until you re-boot you'll see anomalies.Killing a specific one of them will disable your sound until you re-boot, one will disable your Ethernet, if ya kill the wrong one, it'll force a shutdown of your system in 60 seconds.

It's no cause for alarm. Anything that's listed as a Microsoft service is usually fine.

katbird_27

katbird_27

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
thing is i have re-booted.
i guess I just have to live with no printer :) :)

bellman

bellman

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I tried it and after months of searching sites to fix my spooler problems this fixed my problem.My spoolers were disabled and I DON'T know how it was done..I was up and running with my printer working again..this tech is an asset to this site.Thanks again