Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard drives can you do this?

• Please log in to reply

panzullo

panzullo

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I had 2 IDE drives 80 and 80

C
&
D

my second hard drive failed. (D)

I bought a new 10k rpm sata and upgraded my second drive.(D)

My plan if possible is to add a win xp os to the second (D) slave drive and slowly
start installing my important programs to the new (D) drive. Once done and all is working
correct I would like to set the boot sequence to boot from the new D drive and operate from there.

I am trying to avoid wipping out the C drive until im running on the D drive.

Is this possible or will two windows xp on two different drives still conflict on the same machine
If this is possible and I get it done can I just rename the new D drive to C or will that also cause conflict?

Thanks for any help.

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
If you got a software CD with the new drive it should allow you to clone the old drive to the new one, avoiding all those steps and preserving your programs and files. Make sure that the drivers for the SATA are installed before you begin the cloning process. Just attaching the SATA and booting should cause Microsoft to install the drivers onto the C: disk from the update site, but if it doesn't use the CD.