Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Loose power needle in laptop

• Please log in to reply

Bslforever

Bslforever

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hey.

I have an NEC laptop (I'm not quite sure which model, i didn't buy it myself) and recently, the power "needle" (not quite sure what to call it, but its the bit that i would normally attatch the charger to) came lose.

It isn't out completely, but it is laying down in the hole and is very loose.

The laptop will not charge at all and i kind of need it for a presentation tomorrow. I will get it looked at by a professional soon, but i was wondering if there was anything i could do to fix it myself.

Thanks a lot, any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
most likely no. you would have to take it apart and solder in a replacement on the motherboard.... note this could be expensive depending on the part and the difficulty of replacement.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i've actually had some success pulling a laptop open and gluing the center pin in place to hold it steady in the socket...however on this laptop the pin hadn't come completely loose (i.e. it would still charge if you were lucky enough to get the pin into the center of the charging cable)

a little solder and a bit of JB weld is all i needed...

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
This is the kind of job that a mom and pop computer repair shop will excel at, and the big box stores won't be able to do at any price. Call around and see if you can find one that will fix this.

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts

i've actually had some success pulling a laptop open and gluing the center pin in place to hold it steady in the socket...however on this laptop the pin hadn't come completely loose (i.e. it would still charge if you were lucky enough to get the pin into the center of the charging cable)

a little solder and a bit of JB weld is all i needed...

yeah i thought of this as well but as you both pointed out it doesn't charge at all... kind of makes me think he has actually broken the pin from the circuit... I also hesitate to suggest people start soldering on motherboards......

Bslforever

Bslforever

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Ok thanks. If it has come loose from the board, could i re-soulder it myself?

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Please look at the connection closely.
It is best if there is enough soulder there so that you can just heat it up and not add any (soulder).
Remember, heat is the enemy, if you try to do this yourself you will want to use a low wattage iron, and make sure that you do not keep the iron on the connection any longer than you have to.
Best bet, a TV repair shop, or small computer repair shop.

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
you should actually use a grounded iron at the very least as well... many are not and can cause issues...