Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

FPS keeps dropping in game. Lag spikes as well

• Please log in to reply

Lifein8one3

Lifein8one3

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
I have an amazing computer with CoD4 installed on it which i play alot. I have a 3.0 ghz dual core przr, 2 gigs RAM, 8800 GTS GPU, and an nforce 680I LT mobo. Ive always had high frames in this game(125-200) untill just recently. Ill be playin and then the games FPS drops to the low 30's - 40's. I do not understand why this is happening. This is a fresh system that was reformatted and was runnin strong. Just latly its been laggin and dropping FPS. FPS isnt the only sympton. I also get very bad lag spikes in game. MY ping will jump to about 800-999 for a couple secs randomly as well as the FPS dropping. Also im pretty sure its not overheating cause all my temps seem to be in the safe range...or am i wrong? I built this pc myself and its my first time I ever built one so maybe I forgot or did something wrong? Thanks any help is appreciated FYI I thought it was a trojan but the malware tech told me my system was clean and to come here.

Temps at idle/low PC usage: CPU: 42'C System: 34'C GPU: 52'C

Advertisements

undun40cal

undun40cal

• PipPip
  • 80 posts
Heres a few things to consider when it comes to "Frames":

ISP speed ( Throttling can occur with some ISPs)
Game Server player amount (Some servers cant handle too many players at once which drops FPS, especially home PC servers)
Background programs (Some background programs that access the NET can drop "Frames quickly and easily)
Network Sharing (If your on a Network that is sharing the same ISP speed, that can drop frames also)

Ok, this isnt a solution, but it is a few things to consider when frames drop. I assume you play COD4 online which is the reason behind why i gave these considerations. But im 100% sure, if that isnt the case, someone here will help you out with your issue. :)

Lifein8one3

Lifein8one3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
thanks for response. To be honest i know it is not any those issues. Anything server-side will not affect my computers GPU capabilities when it comes to in game frame rates. I am a competitive game player and i have been playing on the PC for about 8 years. Also, the "internet issues" shouldnt affect the "graphic issues." Thanks so much for your response tho ^_^ im not saying your wrong im just saying i personally dont think thats it...ill try everything u said tho to make sure.

Edited by Lifein8one3, 24 July 2008 - 06:50 PM.

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts

Background programs (Some background programs that access the NET can drop "Frames quickly and easily)

You're almost right. It's not programs that particularly access the NET that cause your frames to drop.
It's programs that require your CPU's power to run that will cause your Frames to drop.

Network Sharing (If your on a Network that is sharing the same ISP speed, that can drop frames also)

Frames has nothing to do with the NET what so ever. However the Latency (Delay, Lag) can make you think that your FPS drops while the screen just freezes while it tries to find the server again.

@Lifein8one3
Did you install/change anything recently?

Regards,
Olrik

Lifein8one3

Lifein8one3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
nope :)

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
When did this start?
Have you got any programs running in the background while playing CoD4?

Regards,
Olrik

Lifein8one3

Lifein8one3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
no

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
I apologize for my Delay. This was caused due to my Holiday.
Lets make a DxDiag report.
  • Go to Start and hit run.
  • In the box type: "dxdiag"
  • Let the loading bar in the bottom left finish.
  • After that use the save button in the bottom right.
  • Please copy paste the report into your next reply.

Regards,
Olrik

Edited by Artellos, 05 August 2008 - 03:06 AM.