Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

BSoD shortly after log-in on XP

• Please log in to reply

anthrax66

anthrax66

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I recently received a Dell running Windows XP from my brother's friend. The computer has a lot of malware that I am going to take care of once I can get the computer itself relatively stable.

Heres the rundown:

I boot up the computer and I get to the log-in screen. I can stay here as long as I want and nothing happens.
Once I log in the computer usually works for about 20-60 seconds and then the computer either resets itself or I get the blue screen of death.

On the blue screen of death I get this info:

*** STOP: 0x0000008E (0xC0000005, 0x006F006E, 0xEE666CF0, 0x00000000)

Thanks a ton for any help.

*Edit*
The computer runs fine in Safe Mode.

Edited by anthrax66, 19 July 2008 - 09:59 PM.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
0x0000008E: KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

A kernel mode program generated an exception which the error handler didn’t catch. These are nearly always hardware compatibility issues (which sometimes means a driver issue or a need for a BIOS upgrade).

The first thing i would check is the memory. Try running one stick if you have 2. Swap them around to see if the error stops. try borrowing some memory from a friend and see if the error stops.

The other thing is if you installed some hardware in the computer. Remove the hardware and see if the error stops. If you have the time try disabling some of the programs in msconfig ( start-run- type msconfig & enter). Try hitting the F8 key while booting and get into safe mode. Is it stable in safe mode? System spec's would help.

SRX660

anthrax66

anthrax66

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I tried switching around my memory sticks and I wasn't having any luck so I decided to check if the previous owner of the computer happened to have made a system restore point.

He had. :)
I don't know why I didn't think of that earlier.
The computer is running fine now, before even attempting to remove malware and such.

Thanks a bunch for your help.