Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

unmountable boot error

• Please log in to reply

chrisbeam

chrisbeam

• Pip
  • 5 posts
i restarted my computer and got a blue screen saying unmountable boot error what could cause this and how can i fix it ............plz help

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
The computer does not "see" the operating system for some reason. Have you done anything out of the ordinary after which you get this message?

1: If you a floppy drive make sure that there is no diskette in it.

2: Boot into your BIOS and see if your hard disk is recognized there. Boot the computer and enter the BIOS by repeatedly tapping the DEL or F2 keys. Sometimes it's another key. If you are not sure, press the PAUSE key as soon as you see the first boot screen. Read and follow the instructions about how to enter SETUP.

3: Do you have XP installation CD? We'll probably need it.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

Check HERE for possible fixes.

As mentioned, you will need your XP cd.

Murray

chrisbeam

chrisbeam

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks for your help, when managed to fix the problem. We put in the xp disk, click recovery.. entered chkdsk and were able to load windows. We found out that the problem came from updating to sp3 we removed it and have had no problems since. thank you for all your help.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Thank you for the update. Glad we could help. :)

Murray