Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Incredibly slow laptop

• Please log in to reply

sandman01086

sandman01086

• PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
My brothers laptop is not a bad spec to run windows xp on (Centrino M 1.86Ghz + 512MB RAM) however it is incredibly slow, and when trying to load any sort of application or program it just freezes up, I can't even load Mcafee to run a virus scan. I have disabled all grapics options and have used msconfig to disable any unwated bootup items. I cannot load the start menu to run a disk defrag or disk cleanup.

Any suggestions? Or is it the dreaded format?

Cheers, Jim

Advertisements

cmpm

cmpm

• PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
Hi Jim,

See if ATF-Cleaner will help.
get it here-

http://www.geekstogo...amp;showfile=21

And reformatting isn't such a bad option, if you have everything you need, like license codes and documents backed up somewhere else, and it helps to save your downloads of other programs separate from your computer, saves a lot of downloading.

But anyways, Geekstogo is for fixing it rather then reformating.
reformating as a very last option.

So stick around you will get some more input from the geeks here.
I'm just a computer junkie...:).

Edited by cmpm, 20 July 2008 - 07:38 AM.

cmpm

cmpm

• PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
btw-it's always a good idea to back up what you want in case of complete failure of computer

I use Syncplicity which backs up to their server or another of your computers.
Fre account is 2GB, and of course you can buy nore if you want.

XDrive is another on I use by aol.
5GB free.

Also there is GoodSync's free version that you can use to sync between computers.
No size limit, but has to be done manualy for the free version.

http://www.goodsync.com/download.html

I keep every thing I want in "My Documents".
Makes it easy to do a quick backup.

With GoodSync, you have to set the folders you are syncing to 'share' to pick them up on a home network.

Edited by cmpm, 20 July 2008 - 07:51 AM.

sandman01086

sandman01086

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
thanks for that mate, will give it a go :)

sandman01086

sandman01086

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
tried running atf cleaner, i can get it installed and begin to run it, but before it can complete it changes to (not responding) does this with all programs i load

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
1: Go to Device Manager, expand IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers. Click on "Primary IDE Channel" and click "Advanced Setting". "Transfer Mode" should show "DMA if Available" for device 0 and device 1. If it shows "PIO", Right click again the "Primary IDE channel" and choose to uninstall it. Reboot and let Windows reload the driver. Repeat the procedure with Secondary IDE channel.

2: Use this link to run EXE Files Association Fix.