Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Norton - remove or not?

• Please log in to reply

oceanauk

oceanauk

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
I have Norton Anti Virus 2004 - it seems to cause me no end of headache and now I realise it has not really been stopping a lot of spyware/viruses and my system is unbelieveably slow. Is it worth me just removing it completely and using something simple like AVG? Some good advice would be much appreciated! Thanks Jackie

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

Have you been keeping the virus definitions up through autoupdate or manually installing them?? That is an absolute must..

If you really don't like it, I have heard good things about both freeware versions of AVG and Avast!!

Murray

oceanauk

oceanauk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hi there, yes my virus definitions were always updated automatically. This never seemed to help. If I'm honest it's been a pain since I first installed it. I get the impression it conflicts with XP/Microsoft........ would I be right?

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Well.. I know of a pile of people that use Norton with no troubles whatsoever (the company I work for uses it as well) but others do have problems with it..

Murray

mpfeif101

mpfeif101

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,411 posts
I used Norton a while and switched to AVG. Neither are designed to remove spyware, so don't base your judgement on that. Why don't you try disabling Norton and installing AVG. If you like AVG better then completely uninstall Norton (which is harder than it seems :tazz: )

oceanauk

oceanauk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Thank you for your replies. I don't think it's Norton par se - just my system it doesn't like!!! Still I think that's a good idea to just disable Norton whilst I try AVG. I'll give it a go and see what happens. Many thanks........ Jackie :tazz: