Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need to buy a purchased Domain Name.

• Please log in to reply

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• PipPipPip
  • 626 posts
Hello:

I started doing a little work in the afternoons and decided several months ago to build a site for my side business. The domain name I want has been purchased, but it isn't being used. On the index page, there are three lines of text stating that the site is being reserved and there is a link to contact the administrator. I e-mailed the person on the other end of the link, but he came back and said that he wasn't the owner of the site, but a worker for the hosting company.

I then searched for the domain at the "who is" site and found the owner. He has owned this site since 1996 and the site is scheduled for it's annual renewal process in November. I tried to e-mail the guy with the address I found at the who is site, but it's not valid.

Since there is nothing on this site, I assume he's trying to sell the domain. I found several companies that claim they can help me buy this domain name, but they all want money up front to use their services. Then, on top of their fee, I'd still have to buy the domain. Even if that's possible, I don't know which services are legitimate or how they would get in touch with this guy.

For now, I'm using .biz, but I'd like to try to contact this person before he renews in November.

Any suggestions?

Any and all information will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Magus

Advertisements

steveie85ca

steveie85ca

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
Email the first email back and say you would like it if someone who can talk about the domain can email you back. Or ask for the email of someone higher up.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
What is the FQDN that you are trying to acquire? I might be able to do some extra information gathering for you.