Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Activation code Lost and am not gunna buy another one

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Well a couple weeks ago my computer fried and i just got my new repaired mobo not to long ago and now have to go through all this crap with activation stuff. I lost my activation code a while back and when i called them to try to activate the one i automaticly had in there they told me it does not work and there was nothing they could do...I recalled having something like this done but instead of them throwing me aside with no help they gave me another code. but this time they said there was nothing they could do.

I went on google and searched "windows activation code help" and came up with this site that said

"What if I upgrade my hardware?
Theoretically, upgrading a single component in your system won't reset the XP activation key. However, simultaneously upgrading your motherboard, processor, memory, and video card will probably raise a red flag, and you'll probably have to get a new key. Likewise, if you purchase an entirely new computer and install your existing copy of XP on the new machine, you'll certainly have to obtain a new key from Microsoft.

Wait - how can I get a new key? Won't Microsoft reject a request for a second key if I have different hardware? Isn't that the whole purpose of product activation?
Well, yes; the automatic, online activation will probably fail. However, you can call Microsoft using the phone number provided, explain your problem, and they'll issue you a second key (and a third, etc.). "

Which in short story says if you need another key for hardware upgrade they should give. but they didnt... instead they gave me a number that charges money to get it up and working again, anyone know where i could mybe buy another activation code alone from microsoft for like 10$? because i am not gunna buy another windows xp disk for 90$ lol

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
If you have a product key and it won't activate online, you can do a telephone activation without a need to buy a new key. It'll give you a new 42 digit code to key into the window to reactivate it.

If the key is a recognised VLK (volume licence key) - that is if the key belongs to a big manufacturer like Dell for example - those keys do not activate in any way whatsoever, you'd have to change the key to the one stuck on the case before it'll activate.