Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problems with router

• Please log in to reply

GIB

GIB

• PipPip
  • 61 posts
Hi.

My connection has been terrible over the last few weeks. Online is at times impossible and online on the PlayStation it lags like mad, my connection drops to about 1-2 or under 10mbps and it's incredibly slow. I have to reset my router a few times every day now. My connection is password protected, by the way. Should I invest in a new router or does anyone have any ideas?

Cheers.

Advertisements

bombasos2

bombasos2

• PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
I think you have a couple of options. If your router is still considerably new, you can probably keep using it. Are you using it via wireless, what kind of router is it?

What you need to do first is to hook your computer directly to your internet provider's modem. If the slow problem continues keep in mind that most internet providers share you speed, so don't be disappointed if one day is slower then the next. This would for sure be within reason.

If the connection does improve, you could reset your router to factory settings, usually with a reset button on the back of the router. After the reset, see if your speed has improved. You can also try upgrading the firmware that might improve performance and fix an issue you might be experiencing.With the information I have asked from you I could probably point you in the right direction. Make sure when entering the model for you router you also list any V.1.x that might be next to the model number.

If you have a wireless router and are connecting your play station and computer via wireless you could also try optimizing your settings. You can change your broadcast radio to channel 10, if you have a router compatible with B-G mixed mode, that would also be another option. Also check for wireless interference or environmental variables.

Like, I said there are many things you can try before you buy a new router. :)

Good luck!