Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem with volume in my speakers

• Please log in to reply

JacoBecColby

JacoBecColby

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
I have a dell computer with Altec Lansing surround sound speakers connected. We listen to alot of music and my speakers are working but the volume is extremely low and I can turn up the knob the whole way but the volume does not increase like it should. Can someone help me? Is there a way to test the sound card or speakers? Any easy way to troubleshoot?

HELP PLEASE!

Advertisements

TechSabre

TechSabre

• PipPip
  • 74 posts
Hello :)

When turning the volume knob up, does the sound not increase at all, or is it a very minor increase in sound.

I am suspecting you may have blown your speakers - try testing a set of headphones or a spare/borrowed set of speakers. If the problem still occurs even with the borrowed speakers, then we would have established it's another issue :)

Also, just have a quick check if the speaker cable heading into your computer is inserted properly - usually if the cable is half-in the issue you are describing can occur.

Let us know how it goes :)

TheQuickBrownFox

TheQuickBrownFox

• PipPipPip
  • 714 posts
Hi there. TechSabre, hope you don't mind me jumping in.

Additionaly, you can check Volume Control. Right Click on the Speaker icon in your sys tray (beside the clock at the lower right) and click Open Volume Control. You'll see the different volume levels there. You can go to Options then Properties to see the Volume levels of those you want to see and check from there.

Hope that helps.

:)

TechSabre

TechSabre

• PipPip
  • 74 posts
No I don't mind, ditrackster. It's better than having one person helping out :)

Thanks for adding that too, ditrackster.

JacoBecColby

JacoBecColby

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
All cables are connected correctly and volume settings are OK. I tried headphones and they seem to work. I don't have spare speakers to hook up to the computer but I did hook up my Ipod to the speakers (that aren't working) and they didn't work with it either. Well, they work but the volume is very low and wont increase like it should.

I believe we must have blown the speakers.

Thanks for your help. I'll just get new speakers and if that doesn't work I'll be back.

TechSabre

TechSabre

• PipPip
  • 74 posts
No you seem to be mistaken, you don't need new speakers - But I suppose it's too late now and you already have them.

If the new speakers do the exact same thing, then it may be a sound card issue.

When this issue started, do you remember doing anything that may have caused it? or did the speakers start doing this while you were playing music alone?

JacoBecColby

JacoBecColby

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
I have not bought new speakers yet. Is there a way to test the sound card? Do you have to download or reinstall drivers for the speakers to work with my sound card? I have no clue if that even makes any sense. I've never installed drivers before for speakers to work. I have disconnected the speakers and reconnected them to make sure the wires were connected properly. As I posted earlier when I connect headphones they seem to work ok.

I was not listening at the time this problem started. My kids & wife were listening and told me of the problem. So I don't know specifics of what was being done at the time. All I know is when I turn up the volume on the speaker it does not increase like it should. If I turn it up all the way I can hear the music but it is not loud at all.

Thanks for your help!

Edited by JacoBecColby, 29 July 2008 - 10:03 PM.

TechSabre

TechSabre

• PipPip
  • 74 posts
Hello again :)

It's probably best if you bought some new speakers - since you say the headphones work good, this only points to the fact that the speakers have had it :)

If you want, you could try Newegg for some speakers - or you could just go to the local tech store ;) If you got o the tech store, tell them about the situation and see if they will let you test the speakers and if they don't work, see if you can get a refund :) If your lucky, the should let you.