Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Turn off or Leave on?

• Please log in to reply

p-zero

p-zero

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
At work we're trying to cut costs of operation. I suggested power all the computers down at night (probably about 30/35 machines). Then the IT guy says that powering up computers causes the most damage to the hardware components. I dont for one second believe this. Its not a car, which upon startup does do the most damage to the engine.
Need some pro's opinions/answers.
-P.

Edited by p-zero, 21 July 2008 - 09:57 AM.

Advertisements

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
If you are trying to reduce costs, leaving computers on overnight isn't going to do it. Of course energy costs are apparent, but parts replacements due to overheating or overwork are also potentially increased.

In the case of Vista's SuperCache feature (or whatever it is), rebooting your computer speeds up the computer as it analyzes the most commonly used programs and dedicates resources to them.

I see where your IT guy is coming from, but turning the computers off will decrease risk for safety hazards, overheating, parts replacement, and slow internet.

p-zero

p-zero

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
AS far as I know all the machines are XP. And rather outdated at that. I think repair costs would cost more than the maches are worth. Not to mention we could probably get new DeLL's for around $250 each or less depending on how many we'd buy at one time.
I think that he just feels the need to be right. Ive always powered all of my machines down when Im done using them, and Ive NEVER had any issues.
Now my wife on the other hand leaves hers on all the time. It shorted out the mobo taking several capacitors with it, its a Mac. But Apples warranty is pretty good even after 3 years and her machine being out of warranty, they still replaced it free of charge.
-P.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I left all my computers on ( 5 of them) for many years( 5). During that time i never replaced any parts and only rebooted the computers daily. Now, i build myself a new computer every 6 months or so and usually sell of the oldest one. About 4 years ago i decided to start shutting them down when one of my computers fried from overheating( fan quit) Although i did not compare electric usage, what i did compare was parts replacement, and problems with any computers . What i found was there was no real difference in the computers at all. Other than a failed hardware that can cause problems, the only thing that did matter was electric use. The avarage computer costs Just over $200 per year to run. I have more problems with computers that connect to the internet than from any other problems.

So you can see the IT guys point of view. No parts replacement means a minimum savings of around $100 per computer( parts plus his labor). It could be a lot more than that when he has to troubleshoot problem computers. He saves time and money by not having to fix any computers. Computer parts are rated in the 50,000 to 100,000 hour life span range so the computers should be obsolete before their parts start failing. Two businesses i deal with Replace 1/3 of their computers on a yearly basis. I suggested this to them as a failsafe method to keep a IT guy they have happy. Both businesses have had no large scale failures in a couple of years now. Their IT guys think i'm the cats meow for them because i'm always bringing new computers to replace their oldest ones. My only problem is the companys have cut back this year and the IT people are complaining. Nothing i can do there. Just for your information, both these businesses turn all therir computers off except the data servers. They stay on 24/7 and are replaced yearly.

SRX660

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
This discussion has came up many times and it seems to be split down the middle. I am a personal believer of never turning computers off. You will find many techs that believe the other way. When it comes down to it I suppose it is more preference than anything else.

charge06

charge06

• PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
mine is on all the time, only restarts with the windows updates