Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Explorer not running at startup

• Please log in to reply

JimChooz

JimChooz

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I had no icons, task bar etc. If I run explorer.exe via task manager all comes back. The problem now is, every time I shut down and reboot, I have to get my desktop back via task manager. I tried to pin explorer to startup menu but that hasn't worked.

Any help would be great!

Thanks.

Advertisements

Give_Up

Give_Up

• Pip
  • 8 posts
This problem can spawn from either:

-Installing Norton (its been known to sometimes screw with startup registry settings)
-Spyware/Malware

Edited by Rorschach112, 22 July 2008 - 12:42 PM.
Removed malware advice

wasup23

wasup23

• Pip
  • 4 posts
start>run>msconfig
click on startup, make sure Explorer.exe is checked on
if it is then idk
if not, theres your problem

Edited by wasup23, 22 July 2008 - 08:38 PM.

JimChooz

JimChooz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
explorer.exe isn't even listed in my startup...... and what's idk? don't see it either?

Jonesey

Jonesey

• PipPipPip
  • 335 posts

explorer.exe isn't even listed in my startup...... and what's idk? don't see it either?

idk = I Don't Know.

wasup23

wasup23

• Pip
  • 4 posts
its not even listed?
hmmm im not sure the only thing i can think of is put in startup folder but i guess you already tried that

JimChooz

JimChooz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
yup.... tried that. crazy!

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,526 posts
You will not find explorer.exe in msconfig startup. It is not part of that process because it is a required process. Those items in msconfig/ startup are mostly programs.

Try going to start/run and typing in "sfc /scannow" without the quotes. Also note the space before the slash. You will need a original XP cd of the same version (home or Pro). This will replace/verify the original dll files.

Also you can try the XP explorer repair found HERE.

This could also be malware related. Go to READ THIS BEFORE POSTING A HIJACK LOG

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
You can also try repairing Windows XP in a whole.
Take a look at the Pinned Topic in the XP forum.

Regards,
Olrik

Ahmed Mounir

Ahmed Mounir

• Pip
  • 1 posts
If you post registry advice, have users backup the registry first

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
Failure of explorer.exe at boot is a very common symptom of malware, and that must be taken seriously. There are, of course, other causes, and one of the quickest ways to check explorer.exe functionality is through Safe Mode.

If explorer.exe does not function properly in Safe Mode, do not pass "Go" on your way to the Malware Forum.

If explorer.exe behaves normally in Safe Mode, malware, if extant, has not yet completely suborned the system and may effectively respond to on-line scan/removal. (Professional help is still recommended, and Geeks-to-go has some of the best in the world. I wouldn't take chances.)

If Safe Mode is working OK, create a new admin level user account and log in to it. Please be patient for a couple of minutes while Windows configures the new account. If explorer.exe functions correctly in the new account, the likelyhood of malware is reduced. (but not eliminated).

If the new account performs properly, it is not difficult to copy all data and settings from the old account: http://support.micro...om/?kbid=811151

In any event, even if you get back to a normal Windows environment, a series of full scans and a professional reading of a HiJackThis log are recommended whenever this common symptom of serious infection is found.