Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

bsod...? sort of. cant start pc up... :(

• Please log in to reply

Clueless101

Clueless101

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
pc was acting a bit sluggish so i decided to have a long overdue clean up, started off by running nod32, ad-aware, antimalware, AVG etc all at the same time - may have been a mistke as it was obv too much for it to deal with. after about an hour the screen was frozen, nothing i clicked on as met with a response although the mouse as active (i was able to move it around, just nothing i clicked on did anything) - also, the screen it was left on before it froze as continuing to scan, the counter of scanned files was still going up but everything else was frozen, even the clock on the task bar had stopped.
so...being the idiot i am, i turned it off (held down the power button for 5 seconds) and when i went to turn it back on i was met by this problem :)

basically... it all runs as normal, i get the asus splash screen and then it goes onto how the pc was turned off unexpectedly and gives me the 5 option (safe mode, safe mode with command p, last know good settings etc etc)... but which ever one i pick, it takes me to the windows xp splash screen, blue screens for a fraction of a second with some white writing on it but i dont have enough time to read it, and then reboots the pc, taking me back to the asus splash screen then the 5 options of how i want to start the pc.

so... i figured, i have a second hdd on the machine (an IDE, my primary hdd is sata)... sooo, i booted up on that, loaded a fresh version of windows on it with the intention of opening 'my computer', virus scanning my broken hdd and fixing all my problems - but it does not appear under my computer :)

so then i got SCARED and was thinking that the hdd was completely broken an was not even spinning any more... so i unplugged everything and ran the hdd in my hand to test it and i can hear/feel that it is doing something and appears healthy... THIS IS A HUGE HUGE problem for me as i have 3 six thousand word essays due in on thursday and the only copy of them i have is on this hdd - so if there is anyone out there who has a clue of what to do, PLEASE, im desperate.

(the rest of the rig is working as i was able to use the computer booting through a second hdd on a dif version of windows.)
ps, sorry aboyut my typing, doing this on asus eeepc and the keyboard is kind of small :) (and thats the reason i cant pay for the data to be recovered lol, just emptied my savings on buying this baby... PLEASE HELP ME SOMEBODY)

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
slave the hard drive to a working computer...burn the data to cd/dvd's or usb drive/flash drive...
after getting the data backed up...scan the drive for malware while its hooked to the other computer...

Clueless101

Clueless101

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
ooh so when i booted from the othr hdd... the one im having problems with did not appear because i didnt have it down as a slave...? would that make sense? so i would need to put one of those tiny pin things on the problematic sata hdd and then it should appear under 'my computer' when booting on a dif hdd? ahhh thanks, life saver... (will test it now)
any idea as to why this may have happened in the first place? just because i shut it down incorrectly (cant say its ever happened before and this is DEF not the first time i've turned itoff that way :S)

Clueless101

Clueless101

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
ah. well i pulled the hdd out and was about to stick the pin in and i read th sticker on it which said 'Master/Slave jumper not required for SATA'...? but then i thought that it i'd had it running all the time i've been using the pc with the other working hdd and it hadnt come up so i put the jumper pin in anyway...

[7][5][3][1]
[8][6][4][2]

if thats what the jumper thing looks like... i stuck it in 5 and 6...? was that right? i distantly remembered doing that on an older pc, strangely the set up i had going before this broke (sata as master and ide as slave) did not have any pins at all...? the pc just knew the ide was a slave...

so anyway, i put the pin in and booted up... and windows recognized it, breifly, it came up as new hardware in a bubble in the bottom right corner... then a new bubble sait it was installed and ready for use, but when i went to 'my computer' there was nothing there...?