Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Trojan:Win32/Conhook.I [RESOLVED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts
Hello WBLG123,

Your machine is clean of malware and it's more likely a conflict or hardware problem of some sort.

If the difficulties with your computer persist I recommend you seek help in from the technical forums here.

We have a couple of last steps to perform and then you're all set. :)

You can remove the folders and files of the tools we have used, Deckards Scanner and Dr Web Cureit.

Next, we need to clean your restore points and set a new one:

Reset and Re-enable your System Restore to remove infected files that have been backed up by Windows. The files in System Restore are protected to prevent any programs from changing those files. This is the only way to clean these files: (You will lose all previous restore points which are likely to be infected)1. Turn off System Restore.On the Desktop, right-click My Computer.
Click Properties.
Click the System Restore tab.
Check Turn off System Restore.
Click Apply, and then click OK.
2. Restart your computer.

3. Turn ON System Restore.On the Desktop, right-click My Computer.
Click Properties.
Click the System Restore tab.
UN-Check Turn off System Restore.
Click Apply, and then click OK.
[/list]System Restore will now be active again.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now that you are clean here are some things I think are worth having a look at:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Check your Java; quite often people find there edition is out of date. Older versions have vulnerabilities that malicious sites can use to infect your system. Please follow these steps to remove older version Java components and update:
  • Download the latest version of Java Runtime Environment (JDK) Update and save it to your desktop or the folder you usually download to.
  • Scroll down to where it says "The Java SE Runtime Environment (JRE) allows end-users to run Java applications".
  • Click the "Download" button to the right.
  • Read the License Agreement and then check the box that says: "Accept License Agreement". The page will refresh.
  • Click on the link to download Windows Offline Installation and save the file to your desktop or Download folder.
  • Close any programs you may have running - especially your web browser.
  • Go to Start > Settings > Control Panel, double-click on Add/Remove Programs and remove all older versions of Java.
  • Check (highlight) any item with Java Runtime Environment (JRE or J2SE) in the name.
  • Click the Remove or Change/Remove button.
  • Repeat as many times as necessary to remove each Java versions.
  • Reboot your computer once all Java components are removed.
  • Then from your desktop or Download folder double-click on the Java exe to install the newest version.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A great way to check that your Microsoft and Java have the latest updates is to go to Software Inspector at Secunia.

I do this weekly. Not only do they tell you which programs need updating but they give you the link to follow.

To bolster your security go to Secunia.com to ensure essential programs are up to date.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To help protect your computer in the future here are some free programs you can look at:

• SUPERAntiSpyware Free for Home Users to detect and remove spyware.
  • IESpy-Ad to block access to malicious websites so you cannot be redirected to them from an infected site or email.

If your Microsoft Update is not working automatically. Keep your operating system up to date by visiting [list]
  • Microsoft Windows Update
monthly. And to keep your system clean run these free malware scanners
weekly, and be aware of what emails you open and websites you visit.

To learn more about how to protect yourself while on the internet read this article by Tony Klein: So how did I get infected in the first place?

Have a safe and happy computing day!

Advertisements

WBLG123

WBLG123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
I am using vista, I can't seem to follow those directions directly...

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts
Hi WBLG123,

I am not a Vista user so I can't be specific about things.

Some thoughts for you though.

Firstly in our clean up we recommend removing the tools we use in the malware removal process.

This often resolves a lot of issues as many of them are very powerful programs that interrupt things.

If you are uncertain about what to do I would suggest doing a search (in XP this means going Start > Search and following the prompts to enter the folders/files you want to find...probably similar in Vista) and deleting all the folders and files you find associated with the tools we used.

After that reboot.

Much of what you do in Vista requires Administrator rights. I think you right click and choose Administrator to do this.

I know with Vista that there have been software conflict issues especially before the service pack updates recently provided. I think these have resolved a lot of problems. If you haven't already done so I suggest you update.

Hopefully the foregoing is of some help.

Let me know how you get on. :)

Best regards
emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts
Hi WBLG123,

Firstly in our clean up we recommend removing the tools we use in the malware removal process.

This often resolves a lot of issues as many of them are very powerful programs that interrupt things.

If you are uncertain about what to do I would suggest doing a search (in XP this means going Start > Search and following the prompts to enter the folders/files you want to find...probably similar in Vista) and deleting all the folders and files you find associated with the tools we used.

After that reboot.

Much of what you do in Vista requires Administrator rights. I think you right click and choose Administrator to do this.

I know with Vista that there have been software conflict issues especially before the service pack updates recently provided. I think these have resolved a lot of problems. If you haven't already done so I suggest you update.

Best regards
emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts
Hi WBLG123,

After that reboot.

Best regards
emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts
Oh Oh. See some issues there. Seems the post happened three time.

Must have been caused by some glitch somewhere.

Anyway no doubt you got the message.

emeraldnzl

WBLG123

WBLG123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Hi again.

I think I have followed every step and uninstalled every program that I used, and I'm almost positive the virus issue is solved. But I'm still posting in safe mode because I cannot load my computer in normal mode for more then 10 minutes... unless its loaded in diagnostic mode, but then my controls are very limited, and I deperately need to complete an Illustrator file by this weekend.

So with my malware issue solved, can this thread be moved to the Operating System forum so I can seek help with that issue, because I'm positive it is software related. Thanks for all your help

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts
Hi WBLG123,

I will refer this to my moderator for closure

Your remaining problem does not seem to me to be malware related.

regards
emeraldnzl

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.